AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime

Anime Discuss anime stereotypes, characteristics, genres, history and more!

Old April 24th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Sakusha

Why I didn't like Sword Art Online

Yes I've watch the entire thing and yes I know Sword Art Online came out in 2009 (Manga) & 2012 (Anime) but I must know what you guys think about this.

This may be a controversial topic here considering the fact how big the fan base is for it but I need to know if I'm not the only one here who didn't like Sword Art Online. Most of my friends all love SOA but I'm the only one who didn't, now the title pretty explains what this thread is going to be about so let's get to the point. Yes I know what I am talking about when I say Sword Art Online sucks, well maybe that was too harsh, ok I just didn't like SOA, sure the art style is AMAZING sure the concept was unique and I like the fact how the hero got with the girl but SOA just didn't stick with me, for the following reasons:

-The story line was boring/repetitive.

-Kirito was predominately WAY overpowered. Which was kind've annoyed me because it's good to see the protagonist get beaten up once and awhile. (Besides the part where he temperately dies in the world tree).

-What's up with his family member having feelings for Kirito?

-& Some of the characters were annoying (Yui).

I'm sorry if I made you hate me because of this but come on, am I the only one here who didn't really like this anime?

My DA

Last edited by Sakusha; April 24th, 2013 at 06:10 PM.
Sakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #2
goddessofanime
in your internets watching you

Hell no. I lasted about ten episodes before I dropped it.

I did like it at first even though I liked it better when it was called .hack/sign. I got caught up with the whole mystery aspect of it...and I really liked Asuna.

But then they made Asuna weak as sh*t and the MC, who I did like at first, became a Gary Stu.
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #3
RKOrulez
Is On Vacation

Don't worry I didn't like it either.
RKOrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #4
Sakusha

Quote:
Originally Posted by goddessofanime View Post
Hell no. I lasted about ten episodes before I dropped it.

I did like it at first even though I liked it better when it was called .hack/sign. I got caught up with the whole mystery aspect of it...and I really liked Asuna.

But then they made Asuna weak as sh*t and the MC, who I did like at first, became a Gary Stu.
Phew that's good to know , Yeah Asuna is definitely my most favourite character of the series. I know, what's up with Asuna's stats? She always got the scraps after Kirito pretty much did the whole fighting.

My DA
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #5
tigeress02
Guardian Spirit

You're not the only one who didn't fall in love with SAO. It was fine in the beginning, but I started getting bored with it about halfway through. I remember the basics of the story and the main characters, but the rest is a total blur. I doubt I'd ever watch it again.
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Sakusha

I started losing interest after episode 15, but my rules are: If you're going to start a anime /manga series you better finished it. So basically after episode 15 I pretty much watched it for the art lol.

My DA
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #7
goddessofanime
in your internets watching you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakusha View Post
Phew that's good to know , Yeah Asuna is definitely my most favourite character of the series. I know, what's up with Asuna's stats? She always got the scraps after Kirito pretty much did the whole fighting.
All I remember was she could hold her own for awhile but Kirito always saved her somewhat.

But I liked the fact that she didn't take any bull. And that she was top-ranked.
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #8
RKOrulez
Is On Vacation

Pretty much my thoughts on it.... Well more or less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjytC-rIC8U
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Sakusha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOrulez View Post
Pretty much my thoughts on it.... Well more or less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjytC-rIC8U
This. Pretty much explains most of my reasons.

My DA
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #10
Lynx
Vermillion

I see a lot of hate and love for SAO on a lot of message boards. Personally, I loved the first half of the show and kind of wished it would have ended there. The second half of the show went downhill from the start. I hated how they made Asuna practically useless and pretty much everything about Kirito's sister. It would've been much better if they had just scrapped the whole Alfheim arc.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #11
Sakusha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
I see a lot of hate and love for SAO on a lot of message boards. Personally, I loved the first half of the show and kind of wished it would have ended there. The second half of the show went downhill from the start. I hated how they made Asuna practically useless and pretty much everything about Kirito's sister. It would've been much better if they had just scrapped the whole Alfheim arc.
Pretty much, that's where I lost interest.

My DA
Old April 24th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #12
RKOrulez
Is On Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakusha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
Pretty much, that's where I lost interest.
I think most people did.
Old April 24th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #13
Sakusha

Yeah the series should've end once SOA was beaten, they shouldn't of continued with Alfheim. THAT'S where it pretty much went downhill. I mean how can you go from "human" avatars to fairies?!?

My DA
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #14
loplop
Looking for my lost shaker of salt

I just couldn't get into it either, but I'm also not a big RPG gamer. The one thing that does stand out about the show is the amount of ero-doujinshi that has came from the series, especially about the main character and his sister.

loplop's Anime List
: loplop's Figure Collection : loplop's Pixiv Profile : loplop on Twitter

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it. " - Mark Twain
loplop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #15
mdauben
VF-1 Valkyrie

Quote:
I'm sorry if I made you hate me because of this but come on, am I the only one here who didn't really like this anime?
Obviously not, although overall I really enjoyed it myself.

Quote:
All I remember was she could hold her own for awhile but Kirito always saved her somewhat.
Er... what? In Ch. 2 Kirito only able to beat the big boss by working together with Asuna. In Ch. 10 Kirito is drugged and almost murdered by a another player until Asuna saves his life. In Ch. 11 Kirito stands aside while Asuna intimidates and defeats a whole squad of the Freedom Army by herself. In Ch. 13 she kills the giant lake monster after Kirito runs away from it. In Ch. 14 Kirito can't stand up to the Skull Reaper without Asuna's help. I hardly think you can say Kirito is always saving her.

Quote:
I hated how they made Asuna practically useless and pretty much everything about Kirito's sister.
I have to agree with this. One of the things that made the first half of the series so good was the partnership between Kirito and Asuna, both in a personal sense and in a fighting sense. They totally lost that in the second half of the series, where for the most part Asuna was just an object for Kirito to quest for. I could have done without Suguha, too.

I'm not familiar at all with the light novels the anime was based on, but I hope if the do another season of SAO that the storyline goes back to the pattern they established in the first half of the series.

Last edited by mdauben; April 24th, 2013 at 09:08 PM.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art, discussion, dislike, online, sword