AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Super Robot/Mecha

Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Levo
Savior of the Universe

Icon03 Matchless Raijin-Oh on R1 DVD

Matchless Raijin-Oh(or Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh) is being released on R1 DVD if anyone is interested in old school super robots. Many might not even know about it because its only sold at a few places and its being released by a new anime company called Anime Midstream.
I held off buying it because there was a huge delay and its very slowly being released but they just released volume 3 so I placed an order for the first three volumes. Hopefully they'll pick up the pace because they only released 15 episodes out of 51 since they licensed the show in 2009.

I recommend buying straight from their site. Anime Midstream needs all the support they can get because even if you have no interest in this silly super robot show they do want to release other older anime. Perhaps some of The Brave series?

Anime Midstream Interview:
"Our vision is to bring older anime titles to the United States and its surrounding territories. These titles mainly come from the '80s and '90s era of anime that were never given a chance to be released in this part of the world."

"Anime Midstream decided to market it toward an older audience such as classic mecha fans."

"To hell with your opinion!" - Ryuko Matoi (Kill la Kill)

Last edited by Levo; August 3rd, 2011 at 08:51 PM.
Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #2
willag
Guess who?

I've been planning on buying it at some point.

I had actually been working on identifying characters on the AX '96 poster when this series was first announced for release. And what's funny is that just a few weeks before the announcement I had finished identifying the characters for this exact series. I had watched some clips from the first episode (specifically when the school started transforming in to a base/super robot) and was intrigued by it.

So I'm definitely interested in it. Like you, I've been waiting to make certain that they can continue the series. I've heard that Anime Midstream has been having issues getting the VAs into the recording studio, which is where a majority of the hold-up has been.

I hope to purchase some soon. I've just been bogged down getting other stuff out of the way first. But when I do purchase, I'll make certain to do it from their site!
willag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Levo
Savior of the Universe

I got the first 3 DVD in the mail and watched some. Its a fun show. Its got a charm to it, elementary school kids piloting a super robot The super robot is pretty cool.

I hope they just drop the dub. The releases are just way too slow as it is(1 DVD a year?!) and that could be the reason since they aren't experienced in dubbing. I have watched some of it and it sounds like a fandub. Very cheap quality but its watchable.

My biggest complaint was there was some technically issues with the first disc. First of all the menu was super slow like it was made in 1999, much like Pioneer's Battle Athletes Victory menu. Its not a huge issue. Next would be the audio which is flawed. The Japanese audio only goes out of the right channel & the English only goes out of the left channel. I end up having to force my audio receiver to output the audio to mono which fixes the problem but ruins the stereo.
However I have tested disc 2 and can confirm they fixed these problems. So thats good. Menu is different and runs fast and the Japanese audio has a great stereo mix. The English audio still had issues since the music and sound effects were stereo but the voices were mostly in the left channel, very strange.

Old June 17th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Levo
Savior of the Universe

Great news!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...e-only-release

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN News
The American distributor Anime Midstream announced at its panel at A-Kon on Saturday that it will release the second season of the Matchless Raijin-Oh (Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh) television anime series. The company revealed that the second season of the show, which starts with episode 26, will be released with Japanese audio only with English subtitles. Anime Midstream has been releasing the first half of the series with both Japanese and English audio tracks.

The company noted it expects to release volume 4 in the series, which will contain episodes 16-20, on DVD in "a couple of weeks." Additionally, Anime Midstream noted it hopes to release volume 5, which will contain episodes 21-25, by the end of the summer. The company will dedicate volume 4 in the series to voice actress Cassandra Hodges, who passed away last June at the age of 28. The company also noted that it does not have the rights to release the four-episode Matchless Raijin-Oh OAV sequel series.

The company first announced its license to the 51-episode television anime series in 2009.

The company also announced at the panel that it is relocating from St. Louis, Missouri to the Dallas, Texas area.
The change to have season 2 as a sub only was the right choice and they should've done it from the start.

This is the only place you can order volume 4 that I've seen, not even Anime Midstream's site has it for sale but maybe they're waiting until its released. Release date says June 30th but who knows how accurate that is. However I'm placing my order soon.

Last edited by Levo; June 18th, 2012 at 07:17 PM.