AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Super Robot/Mecha

Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:24 AM   #1
Sushikins
Rydia of the Vipers

Newer Mecha?

I put myself out of the anime loop about 2 years ago, and haven't really gotten back into it yet, but I'm curious if there have been any good mecha (Super or Real) series that have come out in say...the past 2 years, that were worth watching.

I'm slowly collecting Gundam Unicorn, so that's a check. I'm not excited for the new series, but I'll watch it regardless so whatever.

I still have yet to finish watching Shin Mazinger Z (Would love to hear some opinions on this one, btw). Watched the first episode of Mazinkaiser SKL and need to get off my *** and finish it because it's over-the-top mecha action is stuff I love.

I know they animated SRWOG2 into an anime, but after the OVA and the first season, I won't lie when I say I haven't even considered watching it. If anyone watched it and has played the games and genuinely thought it was good, lemme know, OG2 was amazing.

That's literally all I can think of concerning primary mecha series in the past 2 years or so, the genre has kinda died out in popularity in recent years, but given my inattentiveness, something could've easily slipped by. Not to mention what is essentially a massive backlog of older stuff I could watch.
Currently Watching: Kill la Kill
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy X|V | Hatsune Miku Project Diva F | Bravely Default Demo
Sushikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:30 AM   #2
KT Kore
Who ate all the gabagool?

Infinite Stratos. Enjoy it bro.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:07 PM   #3
MechaFan
Fan of Mecha

Wasn't a fan of Infinite Stratos myself.. Too much harem and it's subbed so that's a double edged sword for me lol..

But here's some "newer" mecha.. Some are from the 90's i think though, but i'll list em anyways as they are good and you've might of missed 'em.

Code Geass
Infinite Ryvius <-- very little actual mecha but still sci-fi mecha setting
Heroic Age
Gundam 00
Rahxephon
Fafner
Zegapain

Give those a shot Also theres a list of non-gundam mecha shows on the thread below that has some newer mecha in it.
My Anime List + Video Game Backloggery
MechaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:10 PM   #4
KT Kore
Who ate all the gabagool?

Stratos was a joke answer heh.

He wants something from the last two years so yeah...gonna be tough. Mecha is on life support.

Star Driver?

Last edited by KT Kore; August 2nd, 2011 at 02:31 PM.
KT Kore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM   #5
Zerotaku
Mecha Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Kore View Post

He wants something from the last two years so yeah...gonna be tough. Mecha is on life support.

Star Driver?
Technically Magical Girl, actually.

Blassreiter?
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:11 PM   #6
Ryvius
Rising Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushikins View Post
I put myself out of the anime loop about 2 years ago, and haven't really gotten back into it yet, but I'm curious if there have been any good mecha (Super or Real) series that have come out in say...the past 2 years, that were worth watching.
Nope! Maybe like one per season. Mecha is nose diving and fast.

Gundam Unicorn is good, Shin Mazinger was decent, and Mazinkaiser SKL looks pretty good so you've got those covered. Other than that...

It probably barely counts, more like power armor-esque stuff, but I liked Casshern Sins a lot. Came out in 2008.

The Break Blade movies are pretty decent. Desert Gundam pretty much, that outdoes most modern Gundam's. Not amazing though.

Most of Bones new stuff doesn't interest me much, there's Heroman, Star Driver, and maybe something else I'm forgetting. I feel like Eureka Seven was probably their last good one. Xam'd was okay.

There's been new installments of Votoms, but that's only recommended if you've seen the rest of it. By this I'm solely thinking of Phantom Arc and Alone Again. The spinoffs Finder and Irvine were utterly trash in my opinion, Mellowlink completely blows them out of the water.

Super Robot Taisen OG: The Inspector looks decent, I never hear anyone talk about it though.

Last edited by Ryvius; August 2nd, 2011 at 03:16 PM.
Ryvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:52 PM   #7
MechaFan
Fan of Mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Kore View Post

Star Driver?
Jokes are so hard to get over the internet.. But yeah i finished maybe half a episode of IS before i wrote it off lol.. Sometimes Anime On Demand saves me time lol.. Although a google search on it would've saved me more time as a mecha/harem usually = no thx.

And tbh i can't think of anything from the last 2 years.. Although someone did say Blassreiter; which i watched.. It's decent but a little too campy for my taste (what Bones mecha anime isn't though?) and the CGish art was off for me.. I did enjoy and finish it though, but it's not something i'd watch again defiantly a hard recommendation to most..

Last edited by MechaFan; August 2nd, 2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:50 PM   #8
Sushikins
Rydia of the Vipers

Yeah, I figured as much, even out of the loop, Mecha news usually reaches my ears one way or another, but I wanted to be sure. Still, any opinions offered on stuff like SRWOG2 and Shin Mazinger Z would be welcomed.

I'm sad to see my favorite genre slowly dying out to all the crap I see that's getting aired these days.
Currently Watching: Kill la Kill
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy X|V | Hatsune Miku Project Diva F | Bravely Default Demo

Last edited by Sushikins; August 2nd, 2011 at 10:52 PM.
Sushikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:19 PM   #9
Ryvius
Rising Phoenix

Yeah, sadly sci-fi in general has been losing it's steam since the 90's/80's.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:47 AM   #10
MechaFan
Fan of Mecha

It seems like Slice of Life series are the big things right now.. Which sucks as that's my least favorite genre.. TBH the only mecha show I'am interested in thats being released anytime soon is Code Geass Akito No Bakito (not sure if thats spelt right or not) and the NGE/MSG remake/remasters or whatever they are going to be..

The new Gundam looks stupid....
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:05 PM   #11
Levo
Savior of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaFan View Post
The new Gundam looks stupid....
Gundam AGE might but Gundam The Origin will be amazing

"To hell with your opinion!" - Ryuko Matoi (Kill la Kill)
Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:09 PM   #12
Ryvius
Rising Phoenix

I'm a little more optimistic about Gundam AGE, the whole "generations" idea sounds kind of cool honestly. Some big time leaps in a Gundam? Could be cool if done well. Could be kiddie, but someone pointed out to me how kiddie GGG is and I loved it, so who knows? lol.

The Origin will probably rock for sure though, as long as Amuro and Char get their original VA's.
Old August 4th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #13
MechaFan
Fan of Mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon View Post
Gundam AGE might but Gundam The Origin will be amazing
Yeah that's what i met.. Gundam Age.. So far i wasn't impressed Still waiting on more news though.. I'am REALLY excited about Orgins though.

Also I think Gunpla series was released a while ago in Japan.. Not sure what its about but i know it involves the Gundam series and (big surprise) Gundam models.. I don't think it was very popular and I know it's not liscenced.. Might not even be fansubbed.. But it is a newer mecha series that i guess is worth mentioning?
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #14
Vaikyuko
Once and Final King

Gunpla Beginners Second G was just an OVA, sadly, not a full series. As such, it's probably decent at best and terrible at worst.

"The agriculture ministry is not in charge of Gundam," ministry official Tsutomu Shimomura said.
Vaikyuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #15
Sharp-kun
The Key to Victory

Quote:
I still have yet to finish watching Shin Mazinger Z (Would love to hear some opinions on this one, btw). Watched the first episode of Mazinkaiser SKL and need to get off my *** and finish it because it's over-the-top mecha action is stuff I love.
Shin is worth watching. I throuragly enjoyed it. It needs a Shin Great Mazinger to follow up ^^:

Quote:
I know they animated SRWOG2 into an anime, but after the OVA and the first season, I won't lie when I say I haven't even considered watching it. If anyone watched it and has played the games and genuinely thought it was good, lemme know, OG2 was amazing.
Again, worth watching.

it suffers from the problem of the games contain too much to animate in 26 eps, but it does well enough if you go in just expeting to see your favourite OG mechs animated. All the scenes you'd want to see are covered ("AND WHAT DOES EPISODE 15 MEAN?!") and its a good watch. Just dont't expect brilliance.
If you buy bootlegs you're no anime fan.
Ask Sharp! | Livejournal | AMV's | Give Sharp a Hug | Ryune, Hand of A'dal | Twitter
Sharp-kun is offline   Reply With Quote