AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Super Robot/Mecha

Old July 26th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #1
CanisWolfred
Big Bad

Mecha Anime That Aren't Gundam

BY MECHA I MEAN REAL ROBOT!

I'm looking for some good mecha shows that are not part of the Gundam series. I hate to ask for recommendations, but I've tried looking on my own and became overwhelmed by all that's out there.

So far I've seen Blue Comet SPT Layzner, Code Geass, Detonator Orgun, Eureka Seven, Martian Successor Nadesico, RoboTech, Super Dimension Century Orguss II, and Vision of Escaflowne.

List:

Armored Trooper Votoms
Aura Battler Dunbine
Blassreiter
Blue Comet SPT Layzner
Brain Powered
Code Geass
Dai-Guard
Detonator Orgun
Dragonar
Eureka Seven
Fang of the Sun Dougram
Five Star Stories
Full Metal panic, Full Metal Panic The Second Raid
Gasaraki
Hades Project Zeorymer
Heavy Metal L-Gaim
Heroic Age
Martian Successor Nadesico
Macross/RoboTech (franchise)
MegaZone 23

Orguss
Overman King Gainer
Panzer World Galient
Patlabor (Franchise)
Super Dimension Century Orguss II
Tekkaman Blade
Vandread
Vifam
Vision of Escaflowne
Xabungle
Xam'd The Lost Memories

Undefined:

Gurren Lagann
Gunbuster
Ideon

RahXephon
Zoids

Italicized are ones I have watched.

Arooo~

Last edited by CanisWolfred; September 5th, 2011 at 04:23 PM.
CanisWolfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #2
ryushe
Diggersby tho?

Gurren Lagann is an obligatory must watch if you even remotely care about Anime.

I'm not usually a fan of Mecha, but I was blown away by how over-the-top and fantastic this series was. Do yourself a favor and watch it now.

I also really liked Dai-Guard too, but too be fair, that show is a real acquired taste. One that most, admittedly, won't have an appetite for.
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #3
CanisWolfred
Big Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryushe View Post
Gurren Lagann is an obligatory must watch if you even remotely care about Anime.

I'm not usually a fan of Mecha, but I was blown away by how over-the-top and fantastic this series was. Do yourself a favor and watch it now.

I also really liked Dai-Guard too, but too be fair, that show is a real acquired taste. One that most, admittedly, won't have an appetite for.
Gurren Lagann is a tough one to classify, so I didn't put it down. I did watch it and enjoy it, though. I'll check out Dai-Gaurd, though.

Arooo~
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Levo
Savior of the Universe

Votoms

"To hell with your opinion!" - Ryuko Matoi (Kill la Kill)
Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #5
KT Kore
Who ate all the gabagool?

Check out Armored Trooper Votoms. From the same director as Layzner (Ryousuke Takahashi) and it's one of my favorites.

The original Orguss is also completely subbed if you wanna check that out. I didn't completely love it myself but your mileage may vary. It wasn't bad.

Edit: Ninja'd by Levon.
Old July 26th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #6
CanisWolfred
Big Bad

Votoms and Orguss, got it. I'll be sure to check 'em out.

Arooo~
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Zerotaku
Mecha Fanboy

MegaZone 23 is pretty damn good. And it wouldn't be like me if I didn't recommend Zoids on something like this. Some say they're super robots, but they're actually right in the middle of both real and super.

And for more real robots, you really can't go wrong with anything in the Macross franchise. Macross 7 is, to me, the best in Macross. But SDF Macross, Macross Plus, and Macross Zero are pretty good too. Macross Frontier... Meh. I honestly think it's pretty overrated. Decent, but not really as good as people say.
Zerotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #8
Bernard_Monsha
Anti-Moe

Not listed yet

Non-Gundam Tomino series in order of quality

Aura Battler Dunbine
Ideon
Overman King Gainer
Brain Powered

Others
RahXephon
Gasaraki
Fafnir

"When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier when it's called 'The People's Stick' ." Mikhail Bakunin

"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter." G. K. Chesterton
Bernard_Monsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #9
Ryvius
Rising Phoenix

Thirding Votoms, #1 mecha series to me. There's also the awesome spinoff Mellowlink, but I do not recommend watching that before Votoms, and just in case you're confused here's the Votoms guide:

Just don't go in with the cliche' attitude BUT I HEARD VOTOMS WAS SUPER REALISTIC, hate when people do that, lol. It's still sci-fi/fantasy, so just a heads up. And the way I went into it originally was that I was told Chirico Cuvie is basically Rambo in space, I think that made me love it even more because it's the truth. That or the Kenshiro of mecha.

Also Dougram is fantastic, the LOGH of mecha. I love my UC Gundam's but Dougram's storytelling is on a completely different level.

Panzer World Galient is pretty good as well, also from the same director as the shows above. If you like it check out Aura Battler Dunbine, both are 80's medieval mecha shows that probably inspired Escaflowne a bit.

Robotech, gross. Watch Macross! SDF (the original series) and the movie Do You Remember Love are fantastic. Plus is pretty cool and I love 7, but it's hit or miss for most. I have nothing to say about the other installments.

I also love Ideon but that's not a popular opinion, if anything though I'm sure most can agree Be Invoked is incredible. If you can't stomach the series, go with the A Contact movie (just understand it's about 30+ episodes worth of content condensed to 90 minutes, so obviously it'll be messy) then check out Be Invoked which is the best ending Tomino's ever done in my book.

Also keep an eye out for Xabungle, might be one of the best Tomino shows ever. It's still slowly being subbed, but almost completed. It breaks the 4th wall a lot and is just hilarious and legitimately good from what I saw so far.

Vifam is pretty cool, I also recommend Dragonar, though it only has HK subs out there which bothered me after awhile so I still haven't completed it.

And how was Gunbuster not mentioned? lol

Last edited by Ryvius; July 26th, 2011 at 05:32 PM.
Ryvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #10
CanisWolfred
Big Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerotaku View Post
MegaZone 23 is pretty damn good. And it wouldn't be like me if I didn't recommend Zoids on something like this. Some say they're super robots, but they're actually right in the middle of both real and super.

And for more real robots, you really can't go wrong with anything in the Macross franchise. Macross 7 is, to me, the best in Macross. But SDF Macross, Macross Plus, and Macross Zero are pretty good too. Macross Frontier... Meh. I honestly think it's pretty overrated. Decent, but not really as good as people say.
I'll Mark Zoids along with Gurren Lagann as, er, "Undefined"

And I knew I was missing one. I actually did watch Megazone 23. It was pretty good, too. I better put it on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard_Monsha View Post
Not listed yet

Non-Gundam Tomino series in order of quality

Aura Battler Dunbine
Ideon
Overman King Gainer
Brain Powered

Others
RahXephon
Gasaraki
Fafnir
Ideon and Raxephon will also be listed as "Undefined" until I come up with a better word.

And I take it Fafnir is Fafner of the Azure?

Also, I watched one episode of Gasaraki. Did not like it. I understand it supposed to start slow, though. I take it it gets better later on?

Arooo~
Old July 26th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #11
KT Kore

Quote:
Brain Powered
Old July 26th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #12
Bernard_Monsha
Anti-Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeymac92 View Post
And I take it Fafnir is Fafner of the Azure?
I think it is Fanir in the Azure but all my DVD's just say Fafner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeymac92 View Post
Also, I watched one episode of Gasaraki. Did not like it. I understand it supposed to start slow, though. I take it it gets better later on?
It starts slow buit improves as it goes along.

Honestly out of what is listed you should go with the series from the golden age of Mecha

Armored Trooper VOTOMS
Aura Battler Dunbine
Fang of the Sun Dougram

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Kore View Post
Yeah, it's not nearly as bad as people say it is. I would watch it every day of the week over Gundam 00 or Eureka 7.

"When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier when it's called 'The People's Stick' ." Mikhail Bakunin

"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter." G. K. Chesterton
Bernard_Monsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #13
Zerotaku
Mecha Fanboy

Quote:
Yeah, it's not nearly as bad as people say it is. I would watch it every day of the week over Gundam 00 or Eureka 7.
Thank you! Brain Powerd is pretty decent to me. Great music, too.
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #14
KT Kore

Oh boy, well to each their own. I would watch Brain Powered over...Platinumhugen Ordian... *nods*
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #15
Ryvius
Rising Phoenix

Would you watch it over ... ZAMBOT 3!?! ^_~

I've only seen two episodes of Brain Powered though, maybe I won't hate it. I have a weird problem getting into Tomino stuff that isn't classically cel drawn though, so this and Gainer just look awkward to me. I can't even explain it. I'm a Tomino nuthugger, but when his shows are a miss for me I blow chunks everywhere, Victory Gundam and Zambot were insanely challenging to get through. Least Zambot got a little fun towards the end.

... I'd take those over Gundam 00 though, easily.
Ryvius is offline   Reply With Quote