AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Fan Art & Fiction

Fan Art & Fiction A place for artists and writers to share their anime or game related work.

Old January 4th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #46
Mavin Maverick
Edit Demon - Will edit for food.

As for proportions, it mostly seems like the heads are a bit small. Sometimes the characters almost look triangular from bottom to top because the tops (shoulders up to head) are more narrow than the bases (legs mostly). Does that make sense?

Haikus are easy,
But sometimes they don't make sense.
Refrigerator.

I loves me some cartoon violence.

I don't care if I'm famous or infamous, as long as people know me.
Mavin Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #47
mike2
Come at me bro

oh i get it kk ill try work it
to me it seems really kinda subtle on alot of em but yeh ty for the help

edit i think that was a result from drawing too many girls lol wide hips small shoulders :S
also i was wondering with the recent pics the heads seem reasonably sized im not too sure but ive been trying to keep it at 1:2 ratio in comparison to the shoulders

Last edited by mike2; January 5th, 2011 at 01:02 AM.
mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #48
mike2
Come at me bro

2 quick sketches of the second protagonist

Last edited by mike2; January 11th, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #49
mike2
Come at me bro

another sketch of the main protagonist i changed him up again...

Old January 11th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #50
mike2
Come at me bro

Btw with these latest sketches ive been trying to improve on what you guys told me with proprations and such, hopefully they are a bit better...
id love some more feedback tho any criticism is good
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #51
mike2
Come at me bro

the main female protagonist and that rounds up the mian protagonists of the one shot that im doing

sorry about not being able to clean up alot of these pics but im afraid to ink them with my ****** pen

Last edited by mike2; January 13th, 2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:17 AM   #52
mike2
Come at me bro

pls ppl keep criticising its whats helping me improve
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #53
Mavin Maverick

They're looking pretty good. Though with the first two, it looks like the guy on the bottom created the guy on the top by smoking him into existance. LOL

Anyway, the people seem to be coming together a lot better now. The next thing to work on is the detailing in items. The first guy seems to be holding a gun, but that gun is just kind of a shaded block. Working out the detail of it, will add to the picture.

Also, with the girl, she seems a bit flat in comparison to the other characters. It almost looks like you sketched her very quickly, where you put a lot more time into the others. You might want to slow down over all, and pay very close attention to each line you draw. Don't rush it!

Haikus are easy,
Refrigerator.

Old January 13th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #54
mike2
Come at me bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavin Maverick View Post
They're looking pretty good. Though with the first two, it looks like the guy on the bottom created the guy on the top by smoking him into existance. LOL

Anyway, the people seem to be coming together a lot better now. The next thing to work on is the detailing in items. The first guy seems to be holding a gun, but that gun is just kind of a shaded block. Working out the detail of it, will add to the picture.

Also, with the girl, she seems a bit flat in comparison to the other characters. It almost looks like you sketched her very quickly, where you put a lot more time into the others. You might want to slow down over all, and pay very close attention to each line you draw. Don't rush it!
Thanks for the feedback, I tried to take in a lot of what u sed about the body proprtions etc.
With the females character yeh i kinda quickly sketched her cause iw as tired and wanted all three characters to finally be done... but could u kinda elaborate abour her seeming flat? Also do you have any feedback on the main protagonists with the several changes i made to him?
BTW the smoke connecting the two characters in my previous post LOL totally not intentional they were drawn on seperate pieces of paper
Old January 14th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #55
Mavin Maverick

The main character is looking very good. The lines are quite clean and the angles look pretty good. The hand is even an improvement.

Hum...well, with the girl, like I said, she looks rushed. Maybe if you turn her face a bit, and give some angle through the shoulders and hips, she would look a little more 3D; like with the guys, they have a dyanmic pose. Her straight pose is what makes her look flat.

Haikus are easy,
Refrigerator.

Old January 14th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #56
mike2
Come at me bro

hmm so when drawing my manga should i try and avoid straight on poses ?

Btw does anyone know of an online store where i can get manga drawing equioment cause all the places ive seen seem dodgey
Old January 15th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #57
Mavin Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2 View Post
hmm so when drawing my manga should i try and avoid straight on poses ?

Btw does anyone know of an online store where i can get manga drawing equioment cause all the places ive seen seem dodgey
Yeah, that's probably a good idea. At least keep the figures "moving." It's rare to do straight on, if only because it's like they're breaking the fourth wall (talking to the audience). If you want that effect, like you want to talk to the audience, or have your main character looking at and observing the character, than a straight on pose works. But it's not going to happen that often.

Haikus are easy,
Refrigerator.

Old January 16th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #58
Shiroiyuki
Leading Cause of Otaku Death

You do a very good job on heads and faces, but it seems like you don't spend as much time or energy on the rest of the body, creating very jagged, sketchy legs and arms that don't match the face.

My advice would be to start focusing on clothing folds, body gestures, leg shape and placement, and the like. Your faces are very beautiful, show a nice range of emotions and personality, but you need to shift the effort onto the rest of the body.

It is not uncommon for an artist to choose one or two body parts as a favorite, get really good at drawing them, and shy away from the rest. I did it for YEARS with hands. I hate hands, they suck. I'm still paying for that...but now I know enough not to simply hide them, or skip them, or sketch them in roughly when the rest is a finished piece. It will take some practice and a lot of effort but the end result will be more than worth it.

Shiroiyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #59
mike2
Come at me bro

Thanks Shiroiyuki for the advice. Ive been trying to focus alot more on the body and poses because alot of my previous work was portraiture so i guess i tend to favour the face and head over the body. I wil continue to try and focus alot of my efforts in the body and proportions.
Also the thing about the body lines not matching the face is that i was never taught to use guide lines and alot of my work on the body is sketchy as im trying through trial and error to get the right shap kinda so yeah ill try keep the lines more clean and the body to be as detailed as the face
Old January 16th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #60
mike2
Come at me bro

A quick sketch attempting to work on the body

Tags
anime, characters, drawing, manga, sketch