AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Fan Art & Fiction

Fan Art & Fiction A place for artists and writers to share their anime or game related work.

Old November 1st, 2010, 01:24 AM   #1
mike2
Come at me bro

making a manga

hey guys im trying to draw up a manga
iv'e got a story and characters but im too sure about the art just wondering what you guys think of my drawings
the pic is of all the main characters that i got so far
please dont be afraid to criticise as ill take it all in good stride thankyou in advance

Last edited by mike2; November 8th, 2010 at 03:33 PM.
mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Mavin Maverick
Edit Demon - Will edit for food.

The art isn't too bad. The guy with his hand on the other guy's head...his arms are too long. And the one on the head, looks like it's on backwards. Other than that, they look pretty decent. You have a pretty good grasp of capturing their emotions.

Haikus are easy,
But sometimes they don't make sense.
Refrigerator.

I loves me some cartoon violence.

I don't care if I'm famous or infamous, as long as people know me.
Mavin Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 01:52 PM   #3
mike2
Come at me bro

thanks for the feedback
yeah im not too good at the moment at drawing hands and such im trying to work on it do you think the characters look original enough or are they too similar?
btw i think the arm is abit stretched due to crappy resizing on my behalf lol

Last edited by mike2; November 1st, 2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:50 PM   #4
mike2
Come at me bro

so no1 has anything to add
Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Mavin Maverick

Sometimes folks are a bit slow on things around here. Give it some time. :-)

I'd also recommend putting all your art in one thread, so people don't have to look all over the place for it!

As for the characters, I think they look recognizable as manga characters, without necesssarily looking exactly like everything else out there. Meaning, they do have some originality, but also conform to standards. Just work on cleaning them up, and on hands and feet, and you should be all right. Now, drawing an entire manga will take a lot work. You'll get better as you go, because you'll be getting a great deal of practice.

I really like the guy in the other thread who has the spray paint can. That's something to shoot for with the rest of your art.

Haikus are easy,
Refrigerator.

Old November 2nd, 2010, 02:09 PM   #6
mike2
Come at me bro

Thanks for the feedback yeah about cleaning up pictures do you know any programs that you can use and are there any tutorials out there??
Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:10 AM   #7
Mavin Maverick

Look over Satsumaru's thread. He's posted some tutorials for both drawing and using Maya (I think). Unfortunately, I'm a writer rather than an artist, so I don't know much about what's available.

Haikus are easy,
Refrigerator.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:38 PM   #8
Tom Servo
(Leave this field blank to omit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2 View Post
yeah im not too good at the moment at drawing hands and such im trying to work on it do you think the characters look original enough or are they too similar?
The characters look like background material to me. None of them are distinctive.

Put the guy with headphones in a loud jacket (white angular waves on dark blue with dress buttons) and give him two walkmans. He switches between both walkmans and knows exactly how much to fast forward to reach the next song on both of them while they're playing simultaneously. Look up headphones and give him a pair of classic ones that audiophiles would crave. He should be wearing some shoes that have a heel to them. Do this for the rest of your characters.

For hands there are stock gestures used in a lot of classical paintings that you could look into. This would be an easy way to make your hands look elegant and commutative instead of having to reinvent the wheel every time you come to draw them.
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 03:41 PM   #9
mike2
Come at me bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
The characters look like background material to me. None of them are distinctive.

Put the guy with headphones in a loud jacket (white angular waves on dark blue with dress buttons) and give him two walkmans. He switches between both walkmans and knows exactly how much to fast forward to reach the next song on both of them while they're playing simultaneously. Look up headphones and give him a pair of classic ones that audiophiles would crave. He should be wearing some shoes that have a heel to them. Do this for the rest of your characters.

For hands there are stock gestures used in a lot of classical paintings that you could look into. This would be an easy way to make your hands look elegant and commutative instead of having to reinvent the wheel every time you come to draw them.
thanks for the feedback ill try do that and ill reupload the new drawings soon and show you guys btw the way the setting im going for is kinda future, modern so yeh im gonna try go for alot of bright colours and such however atm im working on just gettin the line drawings done ill hopefully have more pics uploaded soon
Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:14 PM   #10
Mr. sickVisionz
Your baby mama's favorite AN member

Looks straight to me. I've seen way worse in mega popular series (1st few arcs of One Piece comes to mind)
Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:03 PM   #11
elisefisher

some cool stuff on the way, thanks for the tips and love eveyones work
elisefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #12
mike2
Come at me bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. sickVisionz View Post
Looks straight to me. I've seen way worse in mega popular series (1st few arcs of One Piece comes to mind)
thanks i liked the one piece art tho
must one of the few exceptions lol nah but i want to improve my art alot cause im still a beginner been doin this for about a year so i need to get a lot better before i actualyl begin work on a manga so i need as much critism as possible i most likely will have new pics uploaded in about a week as most of my end of year exams are over then no more school means more work on drawing and manga
Old November 7th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #13
goddessofanime
mother of dragons

I liked it.
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #14
mike2
Come at me bro

just finished school yes!!
ok so i finished some of the drawings i was working on while procrastinating study
Anyway i revamped mostly all the characters that ive shown you, ive tried to take alot from what you guys said into consideration so heres the pic ive done so far
Btw keep tabs on this thread cause i will be uploading more and more due to no school forever

Last edited by mike2; November 8th, 2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #15
mike2
Come at me bro

ok so im not too happy about how the female and male lead turned out so im redoing both of them heres the redone version of the male lead i will post the female very soon

Last edited by mike2; November 8th, 2010 at 03:19 PM.

Tags
anime, characters, drawing, manga, sketch