AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Super Robot/Mecha

Old December 13th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #31
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

As I previously stated, I've taken the time in between Super Robot kits to assemble a Gundam model, but now I'm awaiting supplies to finish off detailing that one before I want to show it off. I've acquired a certain amount of confidence with waterslide decals due to successfully applying the ones that came with my Eva, but etching decals are a bit more tricky. Fortunately I was able to purchase a set of aftermarket waterslides to replace the decals I spoiled for my Gundam.

I think I like waterslides a bit more than etching decals.

There's the Getter-1 Mechanic Collection kit. I liked the Mazinger Z kit so much that I've ordered a couple more Mechanic Collection kits, which are Knightmare Frames from Code Geass. They were on sale, and I managed to get free shipping.

This kit seems to be very, very similar to the Mazinger Z kit. In fact, when I look at the instructions, it is clear that nothing much has changed other than the shape of some of the armour parts. The shared lineage of the two robots has never been so apparent.

There are 63 injection-molded plastic parts, and fourteen rubber parts this time. Five different colours on seven trees including the customary "multi-gate" tree, with several colours at once. Just as with the Mazinger kit there is a small assortment of screws, nuts and bolts, and as you've come to expect from Bandai, a sheet of foil stickers.

Really quite a small and simple kit, looks like it would be ideal for someone who just wanted to get started in this hobby. Shouldn't be too taxing as long as I am careful.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #32
Bernard_Monsha
Anti-Moe

The only real Super Robots I have collected were Fewtures steampunk version of Mazinger Z and crew

Mazinger Z

Aphrodite A

Boss Borat

Doublas

Garada

"When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier when it's called 'The People's Stick' ." Mikhail Bakunin

"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter." G. K. Chesterton
Bernard_Monsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #33
tenshi_a
The beginning of a fantastic story!

^ hey, those are pretty cool redesigns. Sort of ugly, especially how Aphrodite A's stance looks like an orangutan (I think it's the arms), but they are pretty cool, overall.
tenshi_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #34
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

I agree, they are excellent. I'm not so fond of the Borot's face in that design, but hey... maybe it is authentic because it is ugly. It's supposed to be a junkbot after all. The two machine beasts are the best of the bunch, but they are all good.
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #35
Mazinkaiser
Otherwise known as UranusDestiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard_Monsha View Post
The only real Super Robots I have collected were Fewtures steampunk version of Mazinger Z and crew

Mazinger Z
Might I ask which Mazinger Z is this? I've got a Fewture 1969 Mazinger Z reissue, and there seems to be some definite differences between yours and mine other than the changed paint style.

I collect lots of super robots. I've pretty much stopped buying model kits to focus more on metal figures, primarily the Soul of Chogokin line, but I've dabbled a bit into Aoshima and Fewture. Most recently, I picked up the SOC Daizengar/Aussenseiter. They're a bit disappointing sizewise at first, considering the cost of the set, but once combined, it looks pretty impressive on my shelf

I kinda want the Shin Mazinger Z with the Big Bang Punch.
Mazinkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #36
Bernard_Monsha
Anti-Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazinkaiser View Post
Might I ask which Mazinger Z is this? I've got a Fewture 1969 Mazinger Z reissue, and there seems to be some definite differences between yours and mine other than the changed paint style.
They made a steam punk version called Mazinger 1901 which of course means it is set in 1901.

"When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier when it's called 'The People's Stick' ." Mikhail Bakunin

"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter." G. K. Chesterton
Bernard_Monsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #37
Daishikaze
Champion of the Classics

I wish I could afford some of those. The wife would not be happy if spent that kind of money on a toy.
"Police the lives of those around you and get your sensibilities way the heck outta whack! Parade up and down the street in your underwear. Impose your ideas on others! It's easy! Crush someone with an emotional word or an enigmatic look." - Crow
Daishikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #38
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishikaze View Post
I wish I could afford some of those. The wife would not be happy if spent that kind of money on a toy.
There aren't a few things she spends money on that you question the value of, however privately? Besides, model kits are slightly different from toys, or at least you can try telling her that.

I have some more pictures for the thread, today! In fact, over the next couple of posts, I should have quite a few pictures, but there's a limit of five per post and I don't really want to double-post, so someone please reply to me!

You saw the unboxing of Getter-1, now I can show you the finished item. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, for a minimum of effort. The proportions of the facial features don't seem quite right somehow, but it looks good enough!

Here's the plain, straight up shot of the completed model. The shape of the inset chest panels is a bit different than how I remember from last time I watched an episode of the anime. It still looks pretty decent, I'm happy!

GETTA TOMAHOOOOKU!

Getter-1 ready to let loose with dual Getter Tomahawks. There's a mechasaurus just beyond the frame, really! It was just... *ahem* moving too fast for my camera?

I removed the Getter Mantle (cloak) to give you a better look at the rear view of the model. As I stated above, it looks a lot like the Mazinger Z model, structurally. Other than the head, it's really the same basic design. Of course we can't accuse Go Nagai of being lazy, since he also came up with two other designs for Getter Robo. Neither of which I own in kit or figure form, but watch this space...

This arrived today, and I told myself I wasn't going to build it right away. I was dead wrong, though. Yuusha Raideen is a personal favourite design of mine, and I got so carried away I made part of the head before I remembered to take an unboxing shot, so this is... a bit of a makeshift unboxing.

The kit is another one from the Mechanic Collection, and shares many aspects in common with the others. It has rubber parts, bolts, nuts and screws, and the structure is recognisably similar to Getter-1 and Mazinger Z. Not quite as similar to those two as they are to each other, but it is clear to see the common lineage of these kits.

Each of them has a torso that is bolted together with two flexible ball joints. The major joints are screwed together, and there is an inner skeleton underneath the armour. In that respect they are rather like the Gundam Master Grade model kits, although substantially less complex.

This particular kit has (at a rough count) 83 injection-moulded plastic parts, in six different colours. These come on five different trees, one of which is a multi-gate tree. There is also a tree of 8 rubber parts, although several of these are just alternate hands. That's also true of the other kits. You tend to get a rubber chest piece, a rubber crotch and two rubber feet, as well as a bunch of hands.

It is hard to know where to begin extolling the virtues of this model, for a Raideen fan! I'll start by saying that it can re-create most of the attacks you've seen in the series. Fortunately Raideen has a lot of equipment, rather than the energy or kinetic weapons of other robots.

This kit has a ton of option parts, some of which work better than others. What you can see here is the God Block shield on the right arm, and the God Gorgon bow in stowed mode on the left arm. That's only the beginning of what this kit comes with, but unfortunately I ran out of images for this post. You're only allowed five. I can't even include smilies, because of that limitation. I want to smile, damn it! I have robots, who wouldn't smile?

Several different equipment sets still to come! Also, my Revoltech Gaiking and Dancouga came. I've already taken pictures of Dancouga in DankuHo Formation and with the DankuKen! I'm still trying to pick some poses for Gaiking.

Last edited by Soluzar; December 15th, 2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old December 15th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #39
KatayokuのTenshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluzar View Post
Raideen! ... Raideen!

That's utterly awesome. That's gotta be my next kit (after I finally finish the Hyaku Shiki) Although I'm not confident in my ability to bolt a model together!

Fade in fade in...
Old December 15th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #40
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatayokuのTenshi View Post
That's utterly awesome. That's gotta be my next kit (after I finally finish the Hyaku Shiki)

Although I'm not confident in my ability to bolt a model together!
Small bolts. Very small. Less than a centimetre long, in fact. They just hold the torso framework together. It's incredibly easy, it took me just one evening to assemble. It doesn't require paint for the most part, although arguably some parts would be greatly improved by it. For example the parts which are supposed to be red on one side and black on the other, like the God Block and the shoulder guards.

It doesn't take as much time as typical HGUC kit. There aren't as many intricate small parts as you normally find in a Gundam, for one thing. I know I'm not that great at model-building, so if I can do it in an evening...

Soluzar is now overdue for some sleep, but I'll edit this post with further images if I don't get another reply by the next

time I get chance to post. I've still got some more pictures to take, so I need a decent block of time to get posting.

Now it's time for me to fade into bed.

As promised, for the handful of people who might like to see these...

God Breaker sword, ready to slash through the enemy! This requires just swapping the short blade tip for the full-length blade, it's as easy as can be. In the anime the blade extends out of the shield, here it requires an option part.

This is the God Boomerang. This is a weapon Raideen can fire at the enemy and which will often slice right through weaker foes like Drome. You just have to replace the round outer part of the shield with a different piece. In the anime it just morphs to the new shape, but that technology has yet to be perfected for model kits.

Here we have God Gorgon, a bow which Raideen uses in the same manner as any archer would use one. The only difference being that Raideen's extended forefinger charges the tip of the arrow with Mysterious Energy™ before firing. The two pieces of the bow are normally folded back against Raideen's wrist. However, since they get a lot longer when they are deployed, it requires you to swap parts in model kit form. You also change Raideen's hands, since unlike Master Grade Gundam models, these hands are not articulated. In fact you even have to change Raideen's right forearm and elbow joint for one that will properly assume the bow drawing position.

Finally, we have God Bird mode, where Raideen's faceplate closes to reveal a bird-like visage, and the arms transform into wings. In kit form, as you might expect, the wings are option parts which will replace the arms. I had to use a small piece of cardboard to support the legs in their raised position, since the model won't quite balance like that on its own.

Like I said there are a ton of option parts. The model looks great in any given pose, but it is a bit less than perfect that if you ever want to change poses, you have to change several parts. I think I'm going to pick one and leave it like that for most of the time it is on display.

Last but by no means least, Revoltech Gaiking! Ahh, Gaiking... how doth I love thee? Let me count the ways... it is based on the new 2005 series, but the basic design hasn't changed much, if at all. It's still the same old Gaiking it ever was, only the characters are different... and boy, are they ever different.

The internet was being annoying for a while there, so let me know if any of these are broken links. I'm (once again) too tired to notice. Next up, Revoltech Dangcouga, and unboxing the Lancelot from Code Geass, but I don't know when I'll get to build it.

Last edited by Soluzar; December 16th, 2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #41
Sharp-kun
The Key to Victory

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN958490

May get to go with my Soul of Chogokin Z and Great.
If you buy bootlegs you're no anime fan.
Ask Sharp! | Livejournal | AMV's | Give Sharp a Hug | Ryune, Hand of A'dal | Twitter
Sharp-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #42
Daishikaze
Champion of the Classics

I just got my Revoltechs for Shin Getter and Neo Getter, as well as Dangaioh. Got them all set up on the desk. Not to happy with Neo though, some of the pieces don't fit properly, they are too loose. Otherwise, I think they are pretty cool, Shin getter is the best of them by far though.
"Police the lives of those around you and get your sensibilities way the heck outta whack! Parade up and down the street in your underwear. Impose your ideas on others! It's easy! Crush someone with an emotional word or an enigmatic look." - Crow
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #43
Mazinkaiser
Otherwise known as UranusDestiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp-kun View Post
http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN958490

May get to go with my Soul of Chogokin Z and Great.
I'm considering it too, but I was told that this version (as compared to the other Shin Mazinger in the SoC line) has a lot less metal in the legs to allow for the big bang punch transformation. If its anything like the SoC Raideen (which had plastic collapsing legs), then I'm pretty sure I don't want it, since i hated the SoC Raideen. Pretty to look at, disappointing when handled. I'll probably wait for www.collectiondx.com to write a review before taking the plunge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishikaze View Post
I just got my Revoltechs for Shin Getter and Neo Getter, as well as Dangaioh. Got them all set up on the desk. Not to happy with Neo though, some of the pieces don't fit properly, they are too loose. Otherwise, I think they are pretty cool, Shin getter is the best of them by far though.
Have you checked out the revoltech Black Getter? I'd say it ties with Shin Getter in coolness factor

Last edited by Mazinkaiser; December 24th, 2009 at 09:14 PM.
Mazinkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #44
Daishikaze
Champion of the Classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazinkaiser View Post

Have you checked out the revoltech Black Getter? I'd say it ties with Shin Getter in coolness factor
I just ordered it and the Ova Getter 1, I agree Black getter is awesome
Old December 25th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #45
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

I got Goldymarg DX today, for Christmas. It's really pretty awesome. It transforms into Goldymarg, Goldytank, and the Marg Hand & Goldion Hammer. Of course it is intended to be used with the GaoGaiGar DX that I'm also getting, but that is still somewhere mid-Atlantic for now.

Goldymarg is pretty huge! I'm a little taken aback by how big he is, even in robot mode. He's about 9" tall, but the Goldion Hammer is even taller. When the handle is fully extended, the hammer is just over a foot in length! That means that presumably GaoGaiGar will be about the same size, only much wider. He'll definitely be the king of my shelf, as well as the King of Braves.

http://www.collectiondx.com/review/a...goldion_hammer

Check it out, pictures of Goldy and GaoGaiGar.