AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Super Robot/Mecha

Old December 6th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #16
The Million Dollar Prons
Wild Like a Snorlax

That's a prtty col looking Mazinger you got there biscuit
The Million Dollar Prons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #17
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

I'd recommend it to anyone. The outer pieces make it look as though there's hardly any assembly, but underneath all that there's a fairly articulated inner frame, just like with the master grade Gundam kits. The major joints are held together with either screws or nuts and bolts, no polycaps at all. The outer armour pieces are nice and solid, on the arms and legs... but the chest and the groin are actually rubber, for added flexibility I suppose.

It isn't hard to complete at all. Very satisfying though.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #18
KatayokuのTenshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluzar View Post
Personally I don't care to get into buying character figurines, I know there'd be NO END to it, and I've spent quite enough on robots recently.
I've actually got/will have more character figures than robot models (Sheik[OoT], Arche Klein and Mint Adnade [ToP] and what amounts to a static Grand Moff Tarkin Nendoroid ... nothing SR there either)

Quote:
Oh! I've been in that shop too, but they didn't have much related to robots of any kind when I visited.
Most of the upstairs was dedicated to action figures when I went there. About 1/3 of the displays was dedicated to anime stuff (one of the central aisles and adjacent display cases) And more than half of that was Robot related (including about a dozen Kotobukiya kits, Daizengar, Astelion, ART-1, Fairlions etc, some VF-1 Valkyries in Hikaru, Max and Roy colours and some Evangelion statutes...)

Quote:
http://hlj.com/product/BAN957487

It only costs more than most games consoles...
Yeah, that's one that I'd have if I could justify buying it and had the space.

Quote:
Now for my lovely Mazinger.
MAZIN GO! MAZIN GO! Mazinger Z!

Quote:
It will need a bit of paint on the facemask and the top of the head to look perfect, but I'm really happy with it. As the pose suggests, Mazinger is ready to launch a Rocket Punch! It really can do that, thanks to a cunning spring mechanism and a tiny button on the underside of the elbow.
Wont that break it if it hits something too hard? I remember, as a kid, having a Megazord figure that could rocket punch...

Last edited by KatayokuのTenshi; December 6th, 2009 at 01:05 PM.
KatayokuのTenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #19
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatayokuのTenshi View Post
Most of the upstairs was dedicated to action figures when I went there. About 1/3 of the displays was dedicated to anime stuff (one of the central aisles and adjacent display casss) And more than half of that was Robot related (including about a dozen Kotobuiyaka kits, Daizengar, Astelion, ART-1, Fairlions etc, some VF-1 Valkyries in Hikaru, Max and Roy colours and some Evangelion statutes...)
I am about to sound very stupid and unobservant... but... there was an upstairs? How did I manage to miss that!

Quote:
Wont that break it if it hits something too hard?
...possibly. It is made of nice thick and solid plastic, though... and the mechanism remains attached to the main body of the model. Lets say I won't be testing it too harshly...
Old December 6th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #20
KatayokuのTenshi

Quote:
I am about to sound very stupid and unobservant... but... there was an upstairs? How did I manage to miss that!
Yeah, the one on Times Square (I think they have more than one location) you went up a flight of stairs to get there then at the far end of the store in the direction you face coming in there's another flight of stairs.

Quote:
...possibly. It is made of nice thick and solid plastic, though... and the mechanism remains attached to the main body of the model. Lets say I won't be testing it too harshly...
Oh, I thought it was made of several pieces.
Old December 6th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #21
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatayokuのTenshi View Post
Oh, I thought it was made of several pieces.
Beg pardon, I didn't mean to mislead. When I said solid I mean in the sense that it is thick and durable. There are three pieces that compose the rocket punch. It consists of a cylindrical forearm and two pieces which snap together to make a fist.
Old December 6th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #22
KatayokuのTenshi

Well it's still probably sturdier than say ...a MG Mobile Suit's hand (a Zaku's say) which has about 57 moving parts (well individually articulated fingers anyway). Still getting replacement parts is usually impossible so it's probably best to be a little bit cautious.
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #23
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

I just took an unboxing shot of my EVA-01 kit. It's a bit better composed than the Mazinger Unboxing, since I decided to clear a section of my desk specially for the occasion. It is more like the Gunpla I'm used to than the Mazinger kit was, without any screws and springs. It has some weapons that I honestly don't remember seeing in anything I watched so far, and it isn't a Shin Gekijouban model. Lots of vinyl tubing for the umbilical cable, so my Evangelion can go a nice long way without running out of power... I wonder... where do I plug it in.

There appear to be 133 injection-molded parts, although I'm only adding up the highest numbers on each tree, so it could be out by a few. There are also two long vinyl tubes, a polycap sheet, and an unpainted figure of Shinji which is not in scale. I got a few of these with my Gundam SEED 1/100 models, I have no idea what to do with them! my painting skills just aren't that good!

The standard parts come in six different colours, and the arms are somewhat special since they have a sort of rubberised black inlay over the purple plastic center. I don't know why they didn't just do that with pieces that snap on, but I'm not complaining at all! It looks good, and there are places to snap in the green details that the arms need. I just never had a part that was comprised of two separate colours before. There is also a foil sticker sheet, just as usual... and a sheet of what are either dry-transfer or waterslide decals.

Nice. I'm going to have some fun assembling this. Not knowing what kind of decals these are worries me a bit though. You see, it seems like treating waterslides as dry transfer decals or vice-versa would probably ruin them. Oh well, something to think about when it is nearly done. I'm basically happy with the colours of this model. As I stated before, I'm not a big fan of painting, so... I might apply a topcoat to protect the decals, but probably I'll stick with the colours as they are. They aren't exactly right, but everything has approximately the right colour.
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #24
Suiko Eiji
I'm very honeybadger on the matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluzar
There's an MG Dunbine?
Yeah, I've seen it a couple times but never bought it. Levon posted a picture or two of his completed MG Dunbine in the modeling thread up in the Gundam forum.

Quote:
Sweet Mazinger Z Pics
I've got that same kit and it's essentially remained in a half built status for the past several years. I guess I had too much fun with the spring loaded forearms to finish it

But it looks great! That should be motivation for me to finish mine. I've been needing to work through my back log. I can't wait to see how that Eva turns out; I've only seen one Eva kit that I can remember over ten years ago. I have no idea if it is the same one that you have as well.

If you don't mind me crashing your thread, I picked up some non-Gundam models while in Japan this summer that I would like to post as I build.

MyAnimeList
KT Kore: [TA12] called Suiko Eiji a jackass [...]
Suiko Eiji: In TA12's defense, I am a jackass.
KT Kore: You're an awesome jackass though.
Suiko Eiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:53 AM   #25
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiko Eiji View Post
But it looks great! That should be motivation for me to finish mine. I've been needing to work through my back log. I can't wait to see how that Eva turns out; I've only seen one Eva kit that I can remember over ten years ago. I have no idea if it is the same one that you have as well.
Eva-01 is now partly assembled. It looks great, but I can't seem to manage to make it stand up in any pose other than absolutely upright. I wonder if I could find some way to support the feet with a makeshift stand? It is a very flexible model, and it would be a shame to restrict it to the upright pose. Maybe once I add the arms. I must also add that the joints around the ankle are very loose.

Quote:
If you don't mind me crashing your thread, I picked up some non-Gundam models while in Japan this summer that I would like to post as I build.
You're totally not crashing, that's the whole point! I'd love to see what you have. Personally I have a couple of MG Gundam models I plan to work on after this Eva, so I'd be highly delighted to hear about your models. The only drawback is that it might give me new things I want to buy!
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #26
Suiko Eiji

Quote:
You're totally not crashing, that's the whole point! I'd love to see what you have. Personally I have a couple of MG Gundam models I plan to work on after this Eva, so I'd be highly delighted to hear about your models. The only drawback is that it might give me new things I want to buy!
I know the feeling... I went looking on HobbyLink to get some pre-preview pictures of two of the kits I found in Japan (see which one more people are interested in) and found some spiffy Bubblegum Crisis kits that are 60% off. Unfortunately, it looks like I may have to wait until the new year to even order them.

So ... it looks like this is the first model I'll be building since it doesn't require paint or cement - 1/48 SPT Layzner (Real Robot Revolution [R3] line)

Then I'll get into one of the (far too) many Gundam kits, a Macross kit, or my transforming Garland from Megazone 23.

MyAnimeList
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #27
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiko Eiji View Post
So ... it looks like this is the first model I'll be building since it doesn't require paint or cement - 1/48 SPT Layzner (Real Robot Revolution [R3] line)
Excellent. Have you been following along the fansubs ever since someone started charging their Layzner?

You mentioned Macross kits, while I'm not averse to a kit I'd much rather get one of those fully transformable Valkyrie action figures to start with. Either Hikaru or Roy Focker's design.

Oh hey your picture just loaded, that looks nice.

On another topic, do you suppose it's worth putting pictures of my Gundam kits in the other thread? The difference is, there most people will have already seen the kits I'm working on, and can probably do a better job than me. I don't have the confidence to do extensive painting, or the knowledge.

Here is my Evangelion, but don't panic, she is 'armless! She is also 'eadless!

Definitely neither armless nor harmless, and in full posession of a head. Eva-01 is poised with prog. knife, ready to lunge for the angel's core.

I really like the face, and that you can position her mouth to be open. Same basic pose, different angle.

I haven't applied the waterslides yet, because I'm slightly terrified of getting it wrong. At least if I wait, I always have the option to apply them. If I get it wrong, then that option is closed off. Anyone up for teaching Soluzar how to waterslide? I'm sure I did it once, but that was a long time ago... during my childhood modelmaking phase. Since then I've sort of been avoiding them. I have several sheets of decals waiting to be applied.

The model comes with a range of different hands. Open, closed, and trigger finger are the three included variants. It also comes with every weapon that was used in the series. The prog. knife you can see, then there's the pallet (why that name?) gun, That long range positron rifle they used against Ramiel, the polearm weapon that I believe was used against Gaghiel. I can't be sure of the details of the last one without checking. I think that's everything Eva-01 used in the series.

Can't wait to get Eva-00 and find out if it has a special exploding mechanism that will scatter the parts of the model all across my room.

Last edited by Soluzar; December 9th, 2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #28
KT Kore
Who ate all the gabagool?

I don't collect figures really. All I have is a Gunbuster figure that Sushikins so kindly sent me from his trip to Japan.

I don't have a camera at the moment, so here are these fabulous images bought to you by toponeraegunbuster.com.

Last edited by KT Kore; December 9th, 2009 at 04:20 PM.
KT Kore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #29
Daishikaze
Champion of the Classics

I have several revoltech figures:

Gaiking
Black Ox
The Griffon
GR-2
Giant Robo
and soon: Dangaioh and Neo Getter 1

I also have a Soul Of Chogokin figure for Kotetsushin Jeeg that I'm pretty proud of

I wish I could find that Gunbuster revoltech, but all I see are Diebuster ones now
"Police the lives of those around you and get your sensibilities way the heck outta whack! Parade up and down the street in your underwear. Impose your ideas on others! It's easy! Crush someone with an emotional word or an enigmatic look." - Crow
Daishikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #30
Suiko Eiji

Abandon all hope, ye whose bandwidth be slow

Here is my much smaller collection of non-Gundam robot models that need to be constructed.

Quote:
You mentioned Macross kits, while I'm not averse to a kit I'd much rather get one of those fully transformable Valkyrie action figures to start with. Either Hikaru or Roy Focker's design.
I'll openly admit, I have a bizarre bias against toys and action figures as an adult. There's no rational reasoning behind it and I don't care that others buy them (nor do I think less of them), it's just yet-another-Suiko bias.

Now, I've always loved Max Jenus; more so than Hikaru and even a little more than Roy. I've also loved the Super Valkyrie design, too. I saw that Super Valkyrie in a hobby store in Akihabara (it had a 1.8 - 2m tall Mazinger outside, so I had to go in. ) and for 280 yen, I didn't care what the kit did. Turns out the kit itself transforms according to the instructions. Hello Gerwalk mode!

Quote:
Excellent. Have you been following along the fansubs ever since someone started charging their Layzner?
Yeah, I've been going back and forth with Layzner for a couple of years now. I need to get back on the horse.

But, this thread is about model kits! Let's follow the Soluzar Manual of Style for this, shall we?

Unfortunately, my hobby room/game room/library is still missing a few important furniture pieces (like tables and chairs), so you're stuck with pieces of my office, mostly my huge *** desk.

The above is the kit opened with the trees all out and the "operating manual" (build instructions) propped against the bottom portion of the packaging. When I picked this up, I knew this would be an endeavor. The box size is similar to your typical Master Grade, perhaps a little deeper. As I began building, I realized how in depth this kit is. The instructions start you off with the head; I'm abut three steps in and only have two more steps to complete it.

I must say, the quality of this kit is fantastic. The plastic is pliable enough that makes removing it from the trees pretty painless and edges and blemishes file down very nicely. Which is good - the head contains a number of small, fiddly bits which can be quite the pain to clean properly so it looks good once pieced together. And, to its credit, while the plastic is easy to work with before assembly, the kit is surprisingly tight and sturdy. Pieces fit together fantastically. Here's some of the head to provide a little detail to see what I am talking about.

The white piece is the face of the SPT, while the blue portion is the back of the lower head. In the back is the pilot's chair. For an idea of the types of pieces we are working with, the chair is assembled from four individual parts. While leaving it completely grey is an option, the color guide has a bichromatic color scheme with a pale green for the armrests and control sticks and yellow for the remainder of the chair. Which gets me to the first complaint concerning this kit. While most pieces are colored either appropriately for the anime or a realistically enough color to let it alone, there are a handful of pieces that do require some paint and are absolutely obnoxious.

Here are the pilot and scaled figure stands. For reference from left to right, I've placed a US quarter, British 20p coin and a 100 yen coin. Admittedly, in most of my Gundam kits, I leave the cockpits closed, place an unpainted pilot in the seat and discard the remainder. However, Layzner's cockpit is translucent plastic, so even with it closed, you can still see into it. Judging against the size of the coins, cockpit-ready Eiji's pilot suit has some ridiculous detail involved in it. Standing-Eiji and Anna are at least one piece and a little larger but still have a fair bit of detail involved on them that, to me, would make painting far from an enjoyable experience. Fortunately, I can probably get away with ignoring the color guide for the pilot's chair and leaving the unit pilot-less and it'll still look good.

My other complaint is the inclusion of exceptionally small or odd shaped water soluble decals that may have to go in a tight space. While working with the hard pieces and fitting them together has been a dream, if there is anything that provides an irritating level of difficulty, it is the water soluble decals. While the level of detail on the decals themselves make the kit look fantastic, the amount of time they add to the build is frustrating - first positioning them and then waiting for them to dry - especially early in the build like here. While only working on three steps, I've probably got a couple of hours dedicated to this kit already. The kit also contain two sheets of stickers/seals for other details (like the eyes and all of the realistic 'intake' signs and warnings) so Bandai gets massive points for not including those ridiculous heat/pressure decals to ruining this kit.

Thumbing through the remainder of the build instructions, it looks like the exteriors of the kit are formed from several larger pieces but each section retains a high level of detail, similar to the head section. And while the kit is detailed, it is far from difficult. If the head acts as a guide for the overall build, this kit is going to be extremely enjoyable and looks like it's going to be fantastic once complete. If there's some Christmas money after the new year, I'm going to be hunting down the other kits in the Real Robot Revolution (R3) line. Bandai definitely has a winner here.

MyAnimeList

Last edited by Suiko Eiji; December 12th, 2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: learned how to add images