AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Super Robot/Mecha

Old November 29th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #1
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Super Robot Model & Action Figure Thread.

This thread is for discussion regarding and pictures of your super robot models and the ones you intend potentially to get. I actually don't have any picture right now since my first purchase of super robot models is still en route to me, but I'll be contributing my first pictures soon enough.

So far I've ordered the "Mechanic Collection" kits of Mazinger Z, Getter 1 and Raideen. I've also ordered Revoltech figures of Gaiking and Dancougar. There are countless others I want, and honestly I don't know why I waited so long to make my first purchase.

My first question for the thread: Is there such a thing as an affordable figure or kit of GaoGaiGar or Gunbuster? They don't need to have fancy features like the Studio HalfEye figures which cost enough arms and legs to cripple an octopus. They just need to be handsome images of my favourite super robots, ideally with a little posability, but I'll settle for static poses. There's a Genesic GaoGaoGar, but honestly I'm not so fond of that design as I am the original. I know, blasphemy, right?
Soluzar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #2
CrossboneGundam
Immortal Mastermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluzar View Post
My first question for the thread: Is there such a thing as an affordable figure or kit of GaoGaiGar or Gunbuster?
Nope. Not unless you change your definition of "affordable."
CrossboneGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #3
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Three super robot model kits arrived today! As promised, I can now start uploading some pictures. I hope there are at least a couple of other model fans here because I make no claim that my work is impressive, I just like doing it. I'd like to see some models by those who are masters of the art and really get schooled.

Here are my first three kits. Hopefully the first of many, but it depends on what I can find for prices which aren't silly. As you can see, these are Mazinger Z and Getter-1 from Bandai's Mechanic Collection, and Eva-01 Test Type. I've already ordered some others as mentioned in my first post. SAL shipping is cheap, but not fast, I must be patient.

I decided to take a picture of the Mazinger kit (almost) fresh out of the box. I've already constructed the Hover Pilder, and removed the top of Mazinger's head from the trees. It consists of 68 injection-moulded parts in 9 colours, on 6 separate trees, one of which is (as usual) a multi-gate tree featuring more than one colour. In addition to this there are ten rubber parts, six moulded in the same dark blue as the lower arm and lower leg armor parts and four more moulded in black. The instructions and the general feel of the kit are similar to any HGUC Gundam Model. It also includes a small assortment of screws, nuts, bolts and a spring. I guess that's where the "Mechanic Collection" range derives its name from.

This is a side view of the Hover Pilder. The image is small and a bit fuzzy, which is because I only have a cheap point-and-shoot camera. Getting close-up shots of minuscule objects is not easy. The Pilder is pretty detailed for the size of it. The wings fold up just like they should, and the front is a transparent piece. I was expecting it to be much less detailed, perhaps just a single piece that was permanently slotted into the head of Mazinger, but no... this is made from five separate pieces and is capable of recreating the activation sequence after a fashion. I doubt Mazinger's eyes will glow when I finally reach the moment of "Pilder ON!" though.

To show you how tiny the Pilder is, I took a picture of it next to a 50p coin. Admittedly the size of that isn't familiar to you Americans, but I can say with certainty that it is typically coin-sized. Slightly larger than a dollar coin if memory serves me. I was rather nervous when removing the excess plastic from around the edges of these pieces. I haven't worked on anything so delicate thus far, with the possible exception of a Gundam's V Fin. Those don't usually seem to require much cleaning up, whereas this had lots of flash clinging to it. The larger the piece, the easier it is to remove from the trees.

Last but by no means least, this is Mazinger Z's completed torso. The pilder is docked, and although you can't see it too well, it looks great, just like in the anime. Before it will look great, the facemask and headgear need to be painted in gunmetal, or something like that. I'm not much of a painter, but I will add some details to finish off a model properly when necessary.

Last edited by Soluzar; December 5th, 2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old December 5th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #4
The Million Dollar Prons
Wild Like a Snorlax

I hear MG Dunbine is pretty cool, but I never got around to it myself.
The Million Dollar Prons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

There's an MG Dunbine? I can't see that anywhere on HLJ. I can only see HG Dunbine and a few other Aura Battlers. They look cool though. I think my next purchase will be some of the Code Geass Nightmare Frames. I just saw them today, I want the Mechanic Collection Lancelot and Guren Nishiki. Other Nightmare Frames are available but only as action figures, which is OK... but not great.

Back to Mazinger Z for a moment, imagine my delight to discover that this kit actually has a working Rocket Punch! You can replace either of the forearms with a spring-loaded arm that you can fire across the room at the press of a button. Sadly it won't return, but that's amazingly cool as far as I'm concerned. Mazinger Z now has one leg and one arm. It is looking good, although I have to tell you that these rubber parts are entirely a mixed blessing. On the one hand they look great. On the other hand, it's really hard to trim them if there is a bit of excess from the tree clinging to them.
Old December 5th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #6
KatayokuのTenshi

I have arrived as per yor PM Soluzar.

Unfortunately my Banpresto originals models are ... not in a state that I'd like them posted online. They weren't in that great of a state to begin with (I'm not very you see) but I went away for a week a while back and when I returned home I found them both broken in a way that I can't repair (that is more than just parts falling off). I'm still not quite sure how it happened.

So I'm basically sending my apologies with this post.
Except for this Shin Getter 1 statue:
Which proved to be impossible to photograph. I'm not sure why. Here are the two best shots I managed to get:

Old December 6th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #7
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatayokuのTenshi View Post
Unfortunately my Banpresto originals models are ... not in a state that I'd like them posted online. They weren't in that great of a state to begin with (I'm not very you see) but I went away for a week a while back and when I returned home I found them both broken in a way that I can't repair (that is more than just parts falling off). I'm still not quite sure how it happened.
I'm so sorry to hear that. It's a real shame you put your time into building them to find that somehow they got broken. The Shin Getter statue is really nice, mind you!

Mazinger Z now stands on two legs, leaving only the left arm and the Jet Scrander to complete the model. Good times. Photographs to follow.

Last edited by Soluzar; December 6th, 2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #8
Sushikins
Rydia of the Vipers

Unfortunately I don't have any Super Robot models or actions figures.

There is only one store around here that sells mecha model kits, and aside from a GaoFighGar model I saw a few years back (Before I'd watched GGG), they're all Gundam model kits (Currently UC and 00). My only SRW related figure is also a Real Robot, the ART-1 that came with the LE version of OGS Gaiden.

Right now the only things I have that are super robot related are a Noriko Takaya capsule figure I got in Japan, and the Noriko Takaya Bome figure I got at a con a few years ago. Oh, and some Transformers toys (but they're from the live-action movies, not the classic series.)

As far as wants, well that's a big list, especially when I look at the Soul of Chogokin figures. Gunbuster, Genesic GaoGaiGar and Mazinkaiser kits would definitely be on my list, but more than anything I want the Soul of Chogokin GX-13 Dancouga.

Don't even get me started on how many Banpresto Original models I want. I hope those SD figures of Daizengar and Aussenseiter that combine are still available somewhere.
Currently Watching: Kill la Kill
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy X|V | Hatsune Miku Project Diva F | Bravely Default Demo
Sushikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #9
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushikins View Post
There is only one store around here that sells mecha model kits, and aside from a GaoFighGar model I saw a few years back, they're all Gundam model kits.
Retail stores will never compete with online for this stuff. I was afraid of ordering online for ages, but HLJ have plenty of stuff, you should take a look.

Quote:
As far as wants, well that's a big list, especially when I look at the Soul of Chogokin figures. Gunbuster, Genesic GaoGaiGar and Mazinkaiser kits would definitely be on my list, but more than anything I want the Soul of Chogokin GX-13 Dancouga.
I have ordered a Revoltech Dancougar, maybe not quite as cool as the SoC, but it looks decent. Still didn't arrive, though. Maybe next week, I'd love a Gunbuster model, but the only one I can find is that Studio HalfEye one that costs a small fortune.

Come to think of it I can't recall if I saw an affordable Mazinkaiser... I saw one that costs a small fortune, but then it's not uncommon to see both that kind and the more affordable models or kits available for the same robot.

Last edited by Soluzar; December 6th, 2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #10
Sushikins
Rydia of the Vipers

Quote:
Retail stores will never compete with online for this stuff. I was afraid of ordering online for ages, but HLJ have plenty of stuff, you should take a look.
I'm browsing there now, actually, but usually most of the kits I want are either very expensive (like that SoC Dancouga) or Out of Stock.

Ironically, I've bought the Kaiyodo Gunbuster figure before, as a gift for a friend. These days I'm pissed at myself for not buying one for myself as well. Actually, I'm pissed at myself for not buying more stuff from that kit store I went to in Japan.
Currently Watching: Kill la Kill
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy X|V | Hatsune Miku Project Diva F | Bravely Default Demo
Sushikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #11
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Quote:
Ironically, I've bought the Kaiyodo Gunbuster figure before, as a gift for a friend. These days I'm pissed at myself for not buying one for myself as well. Actually, I'm pissed at myself for not buying more stuff from that kit store I went to in Japan.
Kaiyodo did a Revoltech Gunbuster? Damn, I wish I'd seen that. I can't find a listing for it on the store anymore, which probably means it is discontinued. It was probably a lot cheaper than the Studio HalfEye model. I keep hoping someone will do a Gunbuster figure at a reasonable price, or a nice GaoGaiGar. With regards to the King of Braves, the companies seem more keen on doing GaoFighGar, GaoGaiGo and Genesic GaoGaiGar, none of which really are what I want. I want original GaoGaiGar ideally with the Goldion Hammer.

I was just looking around on ebay, and I found an action figure listing that looks decent. It's not entirely an accurate model, but it looks good, and it can perform "Final Fusion" after a fashion, being comprised of separate Galeon, DrillGao, LinerGao and StealthGao parts. It doesn't seem to have any kind of Shishio Gai figure, but the Galeon can transform to Gaigar and then connect to the various other parts... no Goldion Hammer but I'll be happy enough if it turns out to look like the pictures I've seen.

There are a few reviews on the net that make it sound very nice. Definitely a toy rather than an accurate model, like some of the more expensive figures... but that's fine. GaoGaiGar often seems like the rightful successor to transformers in many ways, and that's how this figure seems to be positioned.

You can also get a Goldion Hammer including transformable Goldymarg from the same range, to go with it. I'll leave that just for now, but I'd love both, and one of the ChoRyujin toys I've seen.

Up until now I only saw auctions for this figure that I was afraid might be bootlegs. If you pay too far below the going rate, you run this risk of getting a bootleg instead of a bargain. This one was... not cheap, but not too bad. I've gone for it.

Combined with the purchases I've already made, I've got a pretty decent representation of some of my favourite robots. Hurry up and arrive, Gaiking! I'd love it if there was a reasonably priced Kotetsu Jeeg figure. Although I've never been able to see the series other than short raw clips, I'm a huge fan of Jeeg's design. As well as his theme tune, which often goes through my head when I'm "building up" one of my model kits.

Last edited by Soluzar; December 6th, 2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old December 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #12
Ridley-X4
No.

Quote:
Kaiyodo did a Revoltech Gunbuster? Damn, I wish I'd seen that. I can't find a listing for it on the store anymore, which probably means it is discontinued. It was probably a lot cheaper than the Studio HalfEye model. I keep hoping someone will do a Gunbuster figure at a reasonable price, or a nice GaoGaiGar.
Except there is no Revoltech Gunbuster. There is, however, a Gunbuster made by Kaiyodo before revoltech was introduced. The same was done for several Evangelion figures.
Old December 6th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #13
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley-X4 View Post
Except there is no Revoltech Gunbuster. There is, however, a Gunbuster made by Kaiyodo before Revoltech was introduced. The same was done for several Evangelion figures.
Oh... I see. I tend to only associate the Kaiyodo brand with Revoltech figures, but I understand now. I guess that would make it pretty old, the Revoltech line has been going for some time now. I'll keep my eyes open, but I doubt I'll find one of those figures for a good price.

I guess I can just about live without one if my GaoGaiGar and my Gaiking turn out to be as shiny as the pictures make them look.

Last edited by Soluzar; December 6th, 2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old December 6th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #14
KatayokuのTenshi

Quote:
I want...
As far as Super Robot models go I'm actually content for the moment. There are a few things it'd be nice to have but as it stands they're too expensive for me to bother and I don't want them enough. Like the Perfect Change Cybuster and things like it (not sure if it's even avaliable anymore)

All of my current purchases are only related to Super Robots by way of homage. http://hlj.com/images/gsc/gsc96374_6.jpg
http://hlj.com/images/alt/alt20226_4.jpg

Quote:
The Shin Getter statue is really nice, mind you!
I actually bought it in a shop, Midtown Comics (when I was in New York). I can't remember who made it now, the box got so trashed flying back that I threw it away.

Quote:
I hope those SD figures of Daizengar and Aussenseiter that combine are still available somewhere.
Oddly I can't seem to find any Daizengar or Trombe! models on HLJ, I've tried all the variations of the names that I can think of.
Old December 6th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #15
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatayokuのTenshi View Post
As far as Super Robot models go I'm actually content for the moment. There are a few things it'd be nice to have but as it stands they're too expensive for me to bother and I don't want them enough.
I hear ya. I'm not willing to buy items at silly prices, even if they are cool. Hence my lack of SRW related items. Kotobukiya seem inclined to short production runs and high prices, and they seem to make most of the SRW goodies.

I won't lie, I'd love some of 'em but damn...

Quote:
All of my current purchases are only related to Super Robots by way of homage. http://hlj.com/images/gsc/gsc96374_6.jpg
http://hlj.com/images/alt/alt20226_4.jpg
XD! Still very awesome.

Personally I don't care to get into buying character figurines, I know there'd be NO END to it, and I've spent quite enough on robots recently. Maybe once I have most of the robots I want, excluding the expensive items I realistically won't be getting, then I might turn to a few favoured characters in figurine form, but not for now..

Quote:
I actually bought it in a shop, Midtown Comics (when I was in New York). I can't remember who made it now, the box got so trashed flying back that I threw it away.
Oh! I've been in that shop too, but they didn't have much related to robots of any kind when I visited.

Quote:
Oddly I can't seem to find any Daizengar or Trombe! models on HLJ, I've tried all the variations of the names that I can think of.
http://hlj.com/product/BAN957487

It only costs more than most games consoles...

Now for my lovely Mazinger.

It will need a bit of paint on the facemask and the top of the head to look perfect, but I'm really happy with it. As the pose suggests, Mazinger is ready to launch a Rocket Punch! It really can do that, thanks to a cunning spring mechanism and a tiny button on the underside of the elbow. You can also use a fixed forearm if you don't want to chance parts of your model flying off at random.

There you can see the rear view, showing off the removable Jet Scrander, which is pretty much exactly as you see it in the anime. It docks in the same way, fastening a clasp around Mazinger's abdomen. The wings don't fold as they do in the real Scrander launch sequence, but that's nothing more than a minor detail. I can't really imagine that you'd ever want them to. My only gripe is that in the anime those red details on the tailfin of the scrander are supposed to be the letter "Z" whereas in this model they are only the lower two strokes of a letter "Z" instead. I can use paint to remedy that, though. Very carefully.

Last edited by Soluzar; December 6th, 2009 at 11:49 AM.