AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Super Robot/Mecha

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Real Robot 19 43.18%
Super Robot 6 13.64%
Both 16 36.36%
Neither? 3 6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 8th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #31
Dalmain

I watched Heroic Age a while ago..that was more Super Robot than real robot. It was an ok series.
Dalmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #32
RayearthIX
Puchuu? Puchuu chu Puchuu!

I liked Heroic Age also, but as for Aquarion, it deserves to be up there with Gurren Lagann if anything because of its orgasmically funny (quite literally for those who haven't seen it) transformation sequences.

Concerning my statement about the scream louder to win style anime...

IT'S NOT HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!

my text was bigger...I win

My anime review blog is now 8 months old and has over 30 reviews on it! Check it out at: http://rayixreviews.blogspot.com/
RayearthIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:11 PM   #33
Zer0xW1nd
Bruce Lee killed Chuck Norris

I like both, however the larger portion of what I have watched throughout my life is more towards the real side. Obviously SDFM is what sparked me on my way to loving anime, I was like 4, but it stayed with me to this day as my preference, I like deep storylines and that got me into all manner of Gundam series (though I prefer UC mostly), Nadesico, Full Metal Panic, and the like. However, I had my share of Supers that I watched, like the various Yuusha series in which Exkaizer and GGG were my faves, I did enjoy G Gundam also. I also loved Tekkaman Blade, Maze, Voltron, and stuff like that.

Last edited by Zer0xW1nd; September 23rd, 2010 at 11:41 AM.
Zer0xW1nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:47 PM   #34
old hat
You must be kidding with this crap.

The only super robot show I have ever seen and liked was Gurrenn Lagann. Heroic Age was kind of a hybrid. The human mechs were more real robot style. The Nodos were super robots if you want to call them mecha at all. They looked like mecha but technically they weren't.
old hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #35
killer_kittens

Hi all, this is my first post so HeLlO to everyone.

i <3 mecha to no end, seen a number of mecha amines and have always leaned towards real robot, super can be good but its always OTT and yes i realize that is the point but real is...well...more realistic.

anyways only my opinion and love the thread. look forward to chatting with you all more.
killer_kittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #36
CanisWolfred
Big Bad

Real Robot all the way for me, but only because it's usually more serious with a complex plot and characterization. Show me a good Super Robot show with that level of depth and I'd be all over it.

Whaaaaaaaales!!!!

SPOILER! (highlight to read):
Arooo~
CanisWolfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:40 AM   #37
Arnold
Fresh Pink of Bel Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeymac92 View Post
Real Robot all the way for me, but only because it's usually more serious with a complex plot and characterization. Show me a good Super Robot show with that level of depth and I'd be all over it.
Gurren Lagann.

Also Gunbuster and Evangelion, but they're both sort of hybrids.
"You're not fooling anybody when you say that what happened was a "natural disaster,". You're lying! It was not an earthquake, it wasn't a typhoon! Because what's really happening is that you're hiding something out there! And it is going to send us back to the STONE AGE!"
- Joe Brody, that kickass Godzilla trailer
Animenation-Godzilla says Hi!
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:48 AM   #38
CanisWolfred
Big Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
Gurren Lagann.

I like Gunbuster. Eva was a mind****, though, and Gurren Lagann was too over the top for me to bear for more than a few minutes at a time.

Whaaaaaaaales!!!!

Arooo~
Old October 23rd, 2010, 09:04 PM   #39
Levo
Savior of the Universe

The more over the top a Super Robot anime is the more epic & fun. To make a Super Robot anime not over the top just wouldn't make sense.

"To hell with your opinion!" - Ryuko Matoi (Kill la Kill)
Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:41 PM   #40
CanisWolfred
Big Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon View Post
The more over the top a Super Robot anime is the more epic & fun. To make a Super Robot anime not over the top just wouldn't make sense.
Well, I can't say, I really care for that stuff, to be honest. It's just so silly that it distracts from...well, everything. I don't even know what it was about, the silliness dominates my memory. I guess That's partly why I like Real Robot shows more, but then again, I think any show tells a story better when it's not so over-the-top.

Whaaaaaaaales!!!!

Arooo~

Last edited by CanisWolfred; October 23rd, 2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 11:54 PM   #41
Daishikaze
Champion of the Classics

Quote:
Well, I can't say, I really care for that stuff, to be honest. It's just so silly that it distracts from...well, everything. I don't even know what it was about, the silliness dominates my memory. I guess That's partly why I like Real Robot shows more, but then again, I think any show tells a story better when it's not so over-the-top.
Check out Yasuhiro Imagawa's Super Robot adaptations, They tend to be more character based than the usual fare
"Police the lives of those around you and get your sensibilities way the heck outta whack! Parade up and down the street in your underwear. Impose your ideas on others! It's easy! Crush someone with an emotional word or an enigmatic look." - Crow
Daishikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #42
CanisWolfred
Big Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishikaze View Post
Check out Yasuhiro Imagawa's Super Robot adaptations, They tend to be more character based than the usual fare
I looked him up, and it seems like he's done some good works. I loved G Gundam and Aura Battler Dubine, and Giant Robo looks pretty good, too. I'll also be sure to check out some of his non Robot works, too, especially Beserk - it looks like just me thing.

Whaaaaaaaales!!!!

Arooo~
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:19 AM   #43
Arnold
Fresh Pink of Bel Air

Quote:
I like Gunbuster. Eva was a mind****, though, and Gurren Lagann was too over the top for me to bear for more than a few minutes at a time.
Argh, another great one I forgot about: The Big O.

It's like a Super Robot anime meets Dark City.
"You're not fooling anybody when you say that what happened was a "natural disaster,". You're lying! It was not an earthquake, it wasn't a typhoon! Because what's really happening is that you're hiding something out there! And it is going to send us back to the STONE AGE!"
- Joe Brody, that kickass Godzilla trailer
Animenation-Godzilla says Hi!
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:07 PM   #44
CanisWolfred
Big Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
Gurren Lagann.

Here it is months later and now I love all 3.

Whaaaaaaaales!!!!

Arooo~
Old February 4th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #45
Zerotaku
Mecha Fanboy

I clicked both, but I changed my mind after I submitted. While I do enjoy both to a great extent, I enjoy Super Robot shows more. Here's my experience: Real Robot shows normally tend to have the better stories, Super Robot shows tend to have the more fun characters(with some obvious exceptions like Shiro Amada from 08th MS Team), with both of them leveling out with art and sound. But characters are my favorite part of an anime, so Super Robot gets my vote now. Also, Super Robots are really what got me into anime in the first place. Especially these 2:

Zerotaku is offline   Reply With Quote