AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Super Robot/Mecha

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Real Robot 19 43.18%
Super Robot 6 13.64%
Both 16 36.36%
Neither? 3 6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 9th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #16
Mr March
On an Information High

I definitely prefer real robot. Though I guess my definition of "real robot" can skew things; or to be more accurate, my categorization of various shows as either super or real makes the difference.

I consider Neon Genesis Evangelion to be super robot, though I admit the show merges real and super to the point of almost defying categorization. I consider Gunbuster to be super robot and I think it's the only such super robot show I have ever liked (though I haven't watched all of it as yet). I consider Five Star Stories to be real robot, though I admit that perception is based more on presentation than actual capability.

Though it is not a rule written in stone, I typically enjoy the robot shows where the robot is more realistic. The easier it is to suspend disbelief, the more I like it. I am generally turned off by robots with grandstanding special moves/abilities, robots with near invincible super armor, one-of-a-kind robots and robots with bright, daycare-style red/blue/yellow colors. Patlabor and Macross are the anime robot shows I enjoy the most and come across to me as the most conventionally grounded (understanding that this is anime robots we are talking about, none of which are realistic). Few bright primary colors, no shouted special powers or invincible hero mechas, very few one-of-a-kind mecha and so forth. I like that.
Mr March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #17
tenshi_a
The beginning of a fantastic story!

Anything as long as it doesn't become a boring military drama.

Or worse, a we-love-military-stuff-yeah-super-fanatical-about-guns-and-mecha-but-we-hate-war-it's-really-bad-but-did-we-mention-how-stupendously-awesome-military-weapons-and-military-vehicles-are?-let's-go-on-about-amazing-military-strategy-in-our-war-which-we-made-up-to-demonstrate-how-terrible-war-is-when-giving-wholly-unrealistic-and-too-perfect-examples-of-war-and-therefore-romanticising-the-whole-business-of-warfare type story. i.e. the impression I come away with from anything Gundam related I've ever seen.

Last edited by tenshi_a; December 9th, 2008 at 09:12 AM.
tenshi_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #18
HSaabedra
Angryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenshi_a View Post
Anything as long as it doesn't become a boring military drama.

Or worse, a we-love-military-stuff-yeah-super-fanatical-about-guns-and-mecha-but-we-hate-war-it's-really-bad-but-did-we-mention-how-great-guns-are?-let's-go-on-about-amazing-military-strategy-in-our-war-which-we-made-up-to-demonstrate-how-terrible-war-is-when-giving-wholly-unrealistic-and-too-perfect-examples-of-war type story. i.e. the impression I come away with from anything Gundam related I've ever seen.
I guess that's a no on FLAG then?

I actually prefer both of them, but I have to say that the few modern Super Robot shows (specifically Gravion and Godannar) are lacking in that raw passion that made up the majority of 70's and 80's shows.

As far as Real Robot shows go I'm really big on shows that weave them in like Macross and Code Geass, but they also don't distract from the narrative which some end up doing (here's to you Tekkaman Blade).

We have a severe psychological problem in this country. We want houses we can't afford, money we haven't earned, and grades we don't deserve.
HSaabedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #19
KatayokuのTenshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatayokuのTenshi View Post
I'm not so fond of hot blooded epics so I prefer Real Robots. But, admittedly, I haven't seen a lot of Super Robots yet.
I take it all back. I was a foolish, foolish fool... four months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushikins View Post
Have you seen Gunbuster, GaoGaiGar or Gurren Lagann yet?
I have now.
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:42 PM   #20
neiru_3
Goats, goats everywhere!

I like both, but prefer the real robot shows.
neiru_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #21
Arnold
Fresh Pink of Bel Air

I do like some Super Robot shows that try something different or don't completely revolve around the star mecha- shows like Big O, Gunbuster, Evangelion, and so far Diebuster.

In general, though, I prefer the more "grounded" feel of the Real Robot genre- the Macross universe (well, except maybe Mac7), Patlabor, UC Gundam...
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #22
Dalmain

I prefer real robot shows, but I can enjoy a super robot show every once in awhile.
Dalmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #23
A Dead Spy
Troll Princess

I am a real robot person through and through, though I do admit I tend to prefer the BURNING BLOOD SOUNDTRACKS the super robot genre is famous for. Real robot soundtracks (read: those that aren't Macross) don't impress me quite as much by comparison

"I've never said any of those things!"
-She
A Dead Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #24
BigMo_11

You guys ever seen "Super Robot Taisen?" Best of both worlds in my opinion.
BigMo_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM   #25
Atomusuku-sama
Silver Soul

I'd have to say both, but I'd lean a bit more towards real.

[ DECk [37] | Member since before The Great AN Forms Crash of 2001 & one of the firsts to return | Day Job: Ronin ]
Atomusuku-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #26
MacrossFreak

I admit that I enjoy both...however, invincible superbots have the tendency to make me yawn nowadays. I've always enjoyed Gundam (UC continuity in particular) And the Macross universe among others. I just haven't had much of a chance to expand my library or watch many new titles in the past few years. =\

"Live every moment as of it were your last. When you love, love without resrvation. When you fight, fight without fear. The way of the warrior." -Captain John Sheridan, Babylon 5
MacrossFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #27
Ryvius
Rising Phoenix

I think I can easily side with real robot since most of my mecha/sci-fi favorites hail from the 80's, but I also feel like I still need to see more super robot shows to get a better grasp on them, especially from the 70's. But I've covered some that I really enjoyed, GGG (and also liked Final), G Gundam, Lagann, Shin Mazinger, Mazinkaiser, and some others. I know I need to hit up Giant Robo, Imagawa's a pretty fun director. I can't help but wonder how a really serious and dark series by him would be like though.

Overall though I prefer real robot stuff since they're generally a bit more serious in tone and more militaristic, which is what I always love in my sci-fi. I guess I love world/galactic conflict and war. I think Ryosuke Takahashi's creations/directed stuff does it best, Votoms, Dougram, Layzner, etc, love them!
Ryvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #28
RayearthIX
Puchuu? Puchuu chu Puchuu!

I like both, but as long as the Gundam series counts as real robots, it's real. The Gundam and Full Metal Panic series are two of my favorite anime, and while super robot ones like Gurren Lagann and Aqarion are good, a lot of times the scream louder to win concept can drag a little in my opinion.

My anime review blog is now 8 months old and has over 30 reviews on it! Check it out at: http://rayixreviews.blogspot.com/
RayearthIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:10 PM   #29
Sharp-kun
The Key to Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayearthIX View Post
a lot of times the scream louder to win concept can drag a little in my opinion.
HERESY!

Forum revive!
If you buy bootlegs you're no anime fan.
Ask Sharp! | Livejournal | AMV's | Give Sharp a Hug | Ryune, Hand of A'dal | Twitter
Sharp-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #30
Levo
Savior of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayearthIX View Post
while super robot ones like Gurren Lagann and Aqarion are good, a lot of times the scream louder to win concept can drag a little in my opinion.
Aquarion isn't in the same league as Gurren Lagann

"To hell with your opinion!" - Ryuko Matoi (Kill la Kill)
Levo is offline   Reply With Quote