AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Dragonball

Old January 11th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #1
Dark_Knight
Now I'm angry!

When did Goku learn to fly?

This just came to me, but when did Goku ever learn to fly? Flight was unique to Tenshinhan, Chouzu and Piccolo in the original Dragon Ball, and even at the start of Z, Goku needed to Nimbus cloud to pursue Raditz over the ocean. Yet during the Saiyan saga, he is able to fly when leading Vegeta to a new battleground.

When did he learn?

~Captain Bravo~
~Busou Renkin~
Dark_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Nigokio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight View Post
When did he learn?
They never said at all. He just started flying in the afterlife then kept flying.....? IDK......
Nigokio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #3
Reidar

He learned to fly from Kami in his training before the twenty-third Budokai. That was the entire point of Goku defeating Piccolo. Goku is presumed to be dead until he suddenly attacks from the sky, revealing that he can fly. Since all four of his limbs were disabled, it was what saved him.
Reidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Hisoka
*Throws*

Not too much else to add. Goku learned while training with Kami for three or so years. I believe it was Tenshinhan who apparently taught both Yamucha and Kuririn. Everyone after that point appeared in the series already knowing how to fly.
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Gyt Kaliba
Proud to Be a Goggle Boy

Everyone else has already explained it, but there is another point he mentioned that I'll address - Goku using the Nimbus to catch up with Raditz. If you noticed, he also did it when bringing Gohan to Roshi's island. I have no evidence to back it up, but here's my theory - At that point, Goku can indeed fly, but he's not quite as fast as the Nimbus is at that point. By the time he finishes training with King Kai, he is faster, so he doesn't need it anymore, beyond having it save Gohan.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/292...orebanntb0.png
Gyt Kaliba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #6
Hisoka
*Throws*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyt Kaliba View Post
but here's my theory - At that point, Goku can indeed fly, but he's not quite as fast as the Nimbus is at that point. By the time he finishes training with King Kai, he is faster, so he doesn't need it anymore, beyond having it save Gohan.
That theory is correct.
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #7
Levo
There can be only one!

Well after training on that strong gravity planet or whatever, Earth's gravity is very light for him now

"No sappy lines allowed!" - Aika (Aria)
Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #8
Gyt Kaliba
Proud to Be a Goggle Boy

True. I guess I did have evidence and didn't even realize it. :sweating:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/292...orebanntb0.png
Gyt Kaliba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #9
Dark_Knight
Now I'm angry!

The other question I have is what happened to Lunch? She just kind of.... vanished at the start of DBZ.

~Captain Bravo~
~Busou Renkin~
Dark_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #10
Leader Desslock
I blue up my flagship. HA! GET IT?!

Goku learned to fly from Arthur Dent. One day, Goku threw himself at the ground and missed. As long as he doesn't think about that too much, he'll keep missing.
Old January 13th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #11
Waga

Dragon ball was the best out of all three.
Dragonball Z was just as good as Dragonbal up to the point where Goku defeated Frieza. It was cra-p after that.
As for GT no comment.

This is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth
So help me Arthur Dent.
Waga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #12
Hisoka
*Throws*

Quote:
The other question I have is what happened to Lunch? She just kind of.... vanished at the start of DBZ.
Toriyama admit to forgetting about her and realized far too late.
Old March 13th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #13
/B/eatles
United As One, Divided By Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyt Kaliba View Post
Everyone else has already explained it, but there is another point he mentioned that I'll address - Goku using the Nimbus to catch up with Raditz. If you noticed, he also did it when bringing Gohan to Roshi's island. I have no evidence to back it up, but here's my theory - At that point, Goku can indeed fly, but he's not quite as fast as the Nimbus is at that point. By the time he finishes training with King Kai, he is faster, so he doesn't need it anymore, beyond having it save Gohan.
i also believe at the start of DBZ he might've chosen to fly not only due to speed but energy consumption. he did, after all, choose to save it until the very end of his match with piccolo, so we don't have a very clear figure of how much energy it might've used when they were at that level. just a thought
/B/eatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #14
Gold guardian
~The Light Of Hope~

Quote:
Originally Posted by /B/eatles View Post
i also believe at the start of DBZ he might've chosen to fly not only due to speed but energy consumption. he did, after all, choose to save it until the very end of his match with piccolo, so we don't have a very clear figure of how much energy it might've used when they were at that level. just a thought
You know I alway had thought he had just figured out to fly right during the middle of the match but you know it does make more sense that he knew before hand and was saving it as a trump card just in case.
Old January 18th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #15
DevilSon

Quote:
She was also in one of the Kid Buu episodes when Goku was trying to make a spirit bomb she was giving her energy...but thats about it besides in Gt some flashbacks....Evil Launch was cool she shoulda been in more
DevilSon is offline   Reply With Quote