AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Gundam

Old December 16th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #31
Shiroiyuki
Leading Cause of Otaku Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard_Monsha View Post
Besides it sucks?
That, and people have to blame their fascination with 15 year old homosexual boys on SOMETHING. Otherwise, they have the problem.
Old December 16th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #32
Rahxephon91
hater

God the Gundam Wing boys are not gay and they never will be.

The show still sucks though.
Rahxephon91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #33
crow-kun
Karasu-meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard_Monsha View Post
Besides it sucks?
Like what? I can't remember what was so bad about it?
"If you're going to take pity on yourself, don't kill people in the first place. Don't avert your eyes away from death. Look forward. Look at the people you're killing in the face. And don't forget them. Don't forget. Don't forget. They won't forget you either."
Zolf J. Kimbley "The Crimson Alchemist"
Edward, Winry, Alphonse
crow-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #34
Bernard_Monsha
Anti-Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow-kun View Post
You mean bedsides bad writing, yawn worthy animation, bad character designs, bad voice acting , and fans?

"When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier when it's called 'The People's Stick' ." Mikhail Bakunin

"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter." G. K. Chesterton
Bernard_Monsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #35
Ariel Tsuki
Chick Who Love Bishies

Quote:
There was nothing bad about it really. It's really opinions. At first people hated it for the character designs, which are ugly even I have to admit that but it was because it was bishounen mainly. Now, they hated it for the story. It's like an unwritten rule that bash Gundam Wing on site in this forum like a meme of sorts.

But OP, there's no homosexuality, in fact there is no romance in the series, although Heero and Relena do get closer in one of the manga sequels. But specifically, there's no romantic stuff like that in Wing canonically.

Although to note, it did help the booming of the doujinshi culture and BL genre. Some people like Yun Kouga, the character designer of Gundam 00, got noticed doing Gundam Wing doujinshi (and why people associate 00 with BL too because of Kouga). And because of that Wing will be associated with BL despite there's no such canon in the actual story itself.

Plus, I like how it gets associated with BL, when Gundam SEED was pretty blatant with the fanserive with Kira and Athrun that made Wing seem straight.

Current avatar: Nayuta Sakuragi (Honey x Honey Drops) [Note: Nayu is a B-O-Y!]

Last edited by Ariel Tsuki; December 16th, 2007 at 06:10 PM.
Ariel Tsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #36
Mr March
On an Information High

Quote:
Whats peoples beef with wing anyway?
Keeping in mind that we are being asked here...

I've actually watched the show all the way through, including the OVA and stuff afterward. This may not seem like a big deal to the uninitiated, but if you knew my tastes in both anime and film, you'd wonder why I ever got involved in something like Gundam Wing. Well, don't worry, I'm still working on that one myself

I don't want to go into a huge dissertation on the subject of why I dislike Gundam Wing, but I'll try to summarize the main reasons for my distaste. I felt the characters were all very unlikable, particularly the leads. And just as a benchmark, my dislike goes beyond the obvious utter nonsense of teens as pilots, a 15 year old widower and an adolescent that calls everyone else "kid." The mind-numbing monotony of the show left me bored to tears and the recycled battle animation didn't help any. I felt the message of the series, if it can be called that, was rammed down the audience's throat with all the subtlety of a nuclear bomb. Speaking of things being rammed up places they shouldn't, this series should never have tried pulling real issues out of its *** if a) the writers didn't know how and b) they got ludicrously portrayed characters to spout the crap dialogue. Your characters have to have credibility first if the writers want to impress the audience with worthy thoughts. The result was a plot that went in more circles than a heroin addict and a bunch of pseudo-intellectual pontificating throughout the series that made Evangelion look coherently sophisticated in comparison (I swear to gawd). The nigh indestructible Gundams, tensionless drama and the fact that we've seen most of this before in much better incarnations is just icing on the bashing celebration cake.

Phew. Anyway, it's just my opinion, since I was asked
Mr March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #37
Levo
There can be only one!

Quote:
The story is weak but its the characters that are the main flaw, they are like alien robots. I sometimes wonder if Wing even takes place on Earth

"No sappy lines allowed!" - Aika (Aria)
Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #38
yasly
Girlie girlie animefan

I enjoyed watching Gundam Wing and it will always have a soft spot in my heart,probably because it was the first anime series I watched.
But even if I didn't,I don't think it's that bad.
I'm not saying that there aren't hundreds of better anime series,but still I think it deserves more credit than is given.
And I repeat,there are no homosexuals in Gundam Wing.
"That's right, or the Angels will kill you." Dad from American dad
yasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #39
Rahxephon91
hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Tsuki View Post
There was nothing bad about it really. It's really opinions. At first people hated it for the character designs, which are ugly even I have to admit that but it was because it was bishounen mainly. Now, they hated it for the story. It's like an unwritten rule that bash Gundam Wing on site in this forum like a meme of sorts.
Nothing bad about it?

It has the worst main character that ever graced the anime scene.

The main character that shouts the same damn line throughout the show for no reason.

A plot that for same reason degrades into "let destroy the earth because people are bad"

Yet the show never understands that the colonists are just as bad as earth people.

A walking Chinese stereotype who talks about honor and yet kills people in their sleep.

Overly pretentiousness peace talk that is repeated over and over.

The best character in the show dies

Hero jumps from tall buildings and stands on his mobile suit and blows it up and dosen't die.

A country thats pacifists.

Releana Peacecraft

The subtle name "Peacecraft"

A mobile suit that should very well be way to hot to pilot

Unexplained back stories

"and mobile suits including the Gundams were never seen again"

A priest looking god of death.

If a Gundam boy pilots any mobile suit its godly. Yet we see Leos and crap get blown up with one hit all the time.

A Gun that destorys a colony in one hit

Oh and one thing I never understood. Why did the Chinese colony blow them selfs up? Always sounded pretty stupid to me.
Rahxephon91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #40
Bernard_Monsha
Anti-Moe

Wing is to Zeta Gundam what the Ewok Adventure is to The Empire Strikes Back.

"When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier when it's called 'The People's Stick' ." Mikhail Bakunin

"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter." G. K. Chesterton
Bernard_Monsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #41
yasly
Girlie girlie animefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahxephon91 View Post
Nothing bad about it?

The main character that shouts the same damn line throughout the show for no reason.

A plot that for same reason degrades into "let destroy the earth because people are bad"

Yet the show never understands that the colonists are just as bad as earth people.

A walking Chinese stereotype who talks about honor and yet kills people in their sleep.

Hero jumps from tall buildings and stands on his mobile suit and blows it up and dosen't die.

Releana Peacecraft

Unexplained back stories

If a Gundam boy pilots any mobile suit its godly. Yet we see Leos and crap get blown up with one hit all the time.

Oh and one thing I never understood. Why did the Chinese colony blow them selfs up? Always sounded pretty stupid to me.

now I'm crying,you meanie
"That's right, or the Angels will kill you." Dad from American dad
yasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #42
Levo
There can be only one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahxephon91 View Post
Nothing bad about it?

Releana Peacecraft

Unexplained back stories

Don't forget the Wing boys were meant to defend the colonies yet Quatre blows one up

Heero says he is gonna kill pretty much every character and he ends up saving them instead. Does "kill" mean "save" on that planet?

EW:
"lets send our Gundams into the sun"
[Bad guys come]
"lets get our Gundams back!"
[Bad guys gone]
"Okay, now we can destoy our Gundams because there are no bad people in the world"
"mobile suits including the Gundams were never seen again"

Anyway, as for the Wing boys being gay. I don't think they are, they arn't able to have such emotions since I think they are robots.

"No sappy lines allowed!" - Aika (Aria)

Last edited by Levo; December 17th, 2007 at 12:39 PM.
Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #43
Black Knight

Quote:
Whats peoples beef with wing anyway?
People who knew what Gundam was before the year 2000 dislike Wing generally because it's not the show they wanted to be the first one translated into English. The fact that it was a smash hit is simply salt in the wound, insult to injury, or other appropriate saying of your choice.

People who were introduced to Gundam by Wing and then convert to violent UC-fanpersons often dislike Wing because doing so made them look better in the eyes of the Old School Gundam fans (see above) who were the people with all the answers to all the Gundam questions of the Wing-provided newbies.

These two groups see the people who don't know the difference between a GM and a Nemo but love to talk about how kewl the TBR or DHC are as proof in the inherent idiocy of "casual" or "mainstream" fans, compared to the diehards who are pissed that the "laser rifle" used by the Taurus Mobile Dolls in defense of Space Fortress Barge are the exact same design as the 90mm GM machinegun from 08th MS Team, 0080, and 0083, and cite this fact as laziness rather than homage. Sometimes they're also upset that Zechs gets more on-screen kills in one episode than Char does in two TV shows and a movie combined....

There are also major differences in the way Wing's story is told compared to the way UC stories are told, for example every character in Wing has a consistant motivation which shapes their every action. This makes the characters feel somewhat one-dimensional, even though they are all portrayed as very driven, nearly fanatical people, and such people tend to be a tad one-dimensional. UC Characters, in contrast, seem more "realistic" in that they're constantly contradicting themselves and behaving according to no solid motivation. Everyone does what seems to be a good idea at the time, regardless of how hypocritical their actions may be. Most Gundam fans consider this true "character development" (as long as it's accompanied by sensless and contrived deaths among people the character cared about, any way).
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:56 AM   #44
ladyshiro
Hedgehogs rule

I was introduced to gundam through gundam wing. I like to watch the other gundam series but I always have a soft spot for wing. Like with any anime series you don't judge them with other shows. So if I'm watching Gundam 00 i don't judge it with Wing they are two different shows.
I like all gundams. each one brings something different to the table. But I have to say wing and seed are my favorites of all. I like the characters. I look at them in as an artist they are really good character designs. Those characters have good muscle tone in the right places and just look well developed.
Team Yukari = All Forums Are Belong To Us.
ladyshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #45
Nigokio
Banned

Wing was my first Gundam series too, but there's better in the world of Gundam.

I really have little to no hate against it unlike some other people but I won't be one of those blind followers who thinks Wing is the best Gundam series either. Let's say I enjoyed Wing more than I did F-91, SEED and SEED Destiny.
Nigokio is offline   Reply With Quote