AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Super Robot/Mecha

Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:09 AM   #46
Area88

Out of all the mech show si've seen, the only one i've been really disapointed with was Mospeada. I found the show's characters very unappealing and the plot as basic as it gets.

As a mecha fan, it's hard for me to hate any series but Mospeada certainly comes close. All the characters i could have liked got killed off in the early part of the first episode.
Area88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:29 AM   #47
Phantom
Hands off!

Sure it has "Mecha robots" in it so you wouldn't be that out of place calling it mecha but there is a big difference in content for the most part thats why i don't use the term mecha for super robot shows as the word super robot suits it a lot more and by using that word you instantly have a better understanding of what the anime that you are interested in is about.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:33 AM   #48
Mazinkaiser
Otherwise known as UranusDestiny

Mecha separates into TWO subgenres. Real Robot and Super Robot. Both are considered mecha by the way.
Mazinkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #49
Vir
Grim souvenir shopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nick View Post
Arjuna had some mecha-ish content, I wonder if it's eligible here?
Ugliest mecha I've ever seen, and I stopped watching it after one and a half episode because I already thought I knew by then what kind of ending this was going to get. Still, if my local anime club decides to view it I won't run out of the screening. Perhaps magical girl isn't for me.

Otherwise the most disappointing mecha show for me was Gasaraki, because it started with mystery, magical and historical elements coupled with intrigues and a realistic world, but then petered out into something that seemed like it was written in the first year of political science studies - or by somebody who wanted to be Tom Clancy but failed.

I couldn't even start watching Gundam Seed - the character designs actually put me off, when his designs back in the days of, say, Infinite Ryvius, were quite attractive.

Last edited by Vir; August 4th, 2007 at 05:25 AM.
Vir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #50
Zash
Von the Swordsman

Gasaraki..I have to say I was the worst thing i've ever seen.
Zash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #51
Bernard_Monsha
Anti-Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nick View Post
Arjuna had some mecha-ish content, I wonder if it's eligible here? It's one of the very few anime titles that genuinely managed to disgust me. I guess the show tried to have an ecological message, but it felt more like a cult recruitment ad. One episode was about eating placenta. EATING PLACENTA. I don't think even Gundam Seed Destiny ever did that.

I still think the funniest thing in Arjuna is the insistence on letting bugs and weeds overtake crops, when they do that people starve.

Worst Mecha show ever is G-Saviour. Anyone who argues against that is insane, shiny purple muu muu ftw!

"When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier when it's called 'The People's Stick' ." Mikhail Bakunin

"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter." G. K. Chesterton
Bernard_Monsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #52
Elysial
Blue Blue Glass Moon

Lots of Kannazuki no Miko hate here.

It may have been a fairly mediocre experience, but at least the ending was awesome.
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #53
emotoaster
The Fighting!

I really wish I knew the name of this anime, all I know is it was on Anime on Demand and it was an all girl cast and they where fighting someone named Cow! I forget what ep. number it was but man it was B-A-D.
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:24 AM   #54
Vaikyuko
Once and Final King

G-Saviour, Wing, SEED, and DESTINY are all rather bad shows, but I like them. Burst Angel is phenomenally bad compared to them and I like it too (I like a lot of bad movies/shows, lulz).

Worst one I ever saw was Tristia of the Deep Blue Sea, though. They try to cram way too much into just two short (like...17 minutes, including OP/ED?) episodes. It just felt weird, and the ending was laughable because, well, it had build-up and villain and TENSION. Except there was nothing but happy-go-lucky preceding it, making it random and hilarious.

Regarding the one guy hating on super robot: do yourself a favor and watch G Gundam, Ideon, and GaoGaiGar. If you don't like one of those three, you're not human.

"The agriculture ministry is not in charge of Gundam," ministry official Tsutomu Shimomura said.
Vaikyuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #55
Mazinkaiser
Otherwise known as UranusDestiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treize X Magamin View Post

Regarding the one guy hating on super robot: do yourself a favor and watch G Gundam, Ideon, and GaoGaiGar. If you don't like one of those three, you're not human.
QFMFT

And by GaoGaiGar, he means both GaoGaiGar TV and GaoGaiGar Final.

As for me, the only mecha anime I really disliked were Gundam Wing, Seed Destiny and Evangelion.
Mazinkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #56
Gasaraki
hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treize X Magamin View Post

That's not fair, I don't like any of those(haven't seen nor can find torrents for GaoGaiGar) but I love Giant Robo, Dangaioh, etc.
Gasaraki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #57
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasaraki View Post
That's not fair, I don't like any of those(haven't seen nor can find torrents for GaoGaiGar) but I love Giant Robo, Dangaioh, etc.
GaoGaiGar is licensed, so it won't be easy to find torrents. Worse yet, it is now uncertain whether the rest of the series will even come out on DVD.
Your forum needs YOU.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #58
Vaikyuko
Once and Final King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasaraki View Post
How can you not like any of them when you haven't seen one on the list? Also, did you finish the other two, or just watch halfway? Ideon can be tough to get into, but G Gundam is worse because it starts out feeling rather episodic and almost monster of the weekish, but then ramps up into sex on a (NOT SOLUZAR) biscuit. >.>

Giant Robo is pretty good, Dangaioh I know nothing of. Explain?

"The agriculture ministry is not in charge of Gundam," ministry official Tsutomu Shimomura said.
Vaikyuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #59
J Dude
I'd Hit That!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluzar View Post
GaoGaiGar is licensed, so it won't be easy to find torrents. Worse yet, it is now uncertain whether the rest of the series will even come out on DVD.
lav2k4 told me that Media Blasters said at their panel at either Animexpo or Otakon that they would finish releasing GaoGaiGar on DVD eventually, though this is probably just the TV series. It seems more than likely that they didn't license GaoGaiGar Final and don't plan to release it, which would suck, because it was the best part of the entire show in my opinion. Like I said before, I don't think I'd want to buy GaoGaiGar without GaoGaiGar Final.
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #60
lav2k4
Tensai

If more people actually bought GGG, then FINAL would have a really good chance of being licensed. I know I have no room to talk because I didn't start buying it yet, but i'm just saying.
lav2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote