AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Super Robot/Mecha

Old July 30th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #31
Levo
Savior of the Universe

I never said I hated it....

Its just it goes very downhill about halfway through.

Quote:
The reason why i don't consider super robot anime as mecha anime is because for the most part it is very shallow plot wise and is only there for the action. Not that theres anything wrong with that as i enjoy a few of them but whats the point of bring them into topics like this as no super robot anime can hold up to even the weakest of gundam shows.
Mecha isn't defined by whether or not its got a shallow plot.
Just so you know, there is a Gundam thats Super Robot. I don't think the plot is shallow.

"To hell with your opinion!" - Ryuko Matoi (Kill la Kill)
Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #32
Sushikins
Rydia of the Vipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
The reason why i don't consider super robot anime as mecha anime is because for the most part it is very shallow plot wise and is only there for the action. Not that theres anything wrong with that as i enjoy a few of them but whats the point of bring them into topics like this as no super robot anime can hold up to even the weakest of gundam shows.
Have you ever seen GaoGaiGar or Gunbuster? At least in my opinion, those hold up better, plot wise, then most of the Gundam shows I've seen. I enjoy Gundam at lot, it's one of my favorite mecha franchises, but there are SR shows that are better than Gundam. Plus there is also G Gundam, which is Super Robot.

Also, you're not at the point where GSD gets really bad. At that point, the quality is taking a very small dive, but it slowly gets worse as you get farther in. Where you are, most of the people here were at the very least, enjoying Gundam SEED DESTINY. But hey, if you end up liking the whole show, more power to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka View Post

Currently Watching: Kill la Kill
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy X|V | Hatsune Miku Project Diva F | Bravely Default Demo

Last edited by Sushikins; July 30th, 2007 at 11:41 AM.
Sushikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #33
ZeroRyoko1974
Mr. Zeroryoko1974 to you

Does that 3D CG Voltron count? If so, that was the worst.
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #34
Levo
Savior of the Universe

I thought Gunbuster's plot was kinda shallow actually, it was the characters that were the focus. Not the plot.

"To hell with your opinion!" - Ryuko Matoi (Kill la Kill)
Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #35
Sushikins
Rydia of the Vipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon View Post
I thought Gunbuster's plot was kinda shallow actually, it was the characters that were the focus. Not the plot.
Well, maybe you're right, but I found the plot to be quite well done, especially within the confines of 6 episodes. But yes, I'd definitely have to say the characters where the main focus. This is just my opinion of course.
Currently Watching: Kill la Kill
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy X|V | Hatsune Miku Project Diva F | Bravely Default Demo
Sushikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #36
Phantom
Hands off!

No i haven't seen gunbuster but i have heard nothing but good things about it and its one of those shows that ill end up watching on day. Im also enjoying Gurren Lagann and i didn't think i would. Its just that super robot anime for the most part isn't my kind of thing, for the same reasons i also dislike it when the main characters mecha is so over the top powerful that the normal every day soldier has no chance against him.

Sure you kind of know that the main character is going to win but i don't like it when the enemy have no chance at all and this is the biggest reason that i don't follow a lot of super robot shows.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #37
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-X View Post
That's something I've noticed with Gundam fans in general, if they find somebody who likes Wing or GSD, they get into a fight with them over why they can't possibly like it and shouldn't.
You might notice that usually it's the same few people, and if you were to ask me, they are the ones generally starting the "fights", if you want to use that term. It's impossible to have a sensible discussion on the subject with some people. Most people who like Gundam Wing, I don't care. I have no reason to care unless they start spouting nonsense, in which case I think they've really earned any harsh responses they get.

My least favourite mecha anime would have to be Gundam Wing. I don't know if you would have noticed.

Quote:
Its just that super robot anime for the most part isn't my kind of thing, for the same reasons I also dislike it when the main characters mecha is so over the top powerful that the normal everyday soldier has no chance against him.
In that case, I find it surprising that you're enjoying Gundam SEED & SEED Destiny. Once Kira has the Strike Freedom, what kindof chance does any normal everyday soldier have against him? Considering what you've just said, I would think that would put you off.
Your forum needs YOU.

Last edited by Soluzar; July 30th, 2007 at 11:57 AM.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #38
Phantom
Hands off!

Yeah thats the reason i didn't buy it, im watching my sisters disks. Did you know that gundam wing was the first gundam show i ever watched. Without watching the other gundam shows i thought they were all like that but after finding a tape of the last two episodes of gundam 0080 that someone had thrown away i was amazed. Is this what gundam really is i thought at the time then i started looking up the one year war. Its like a history lesson that you can enjoy.

Oh and for the record gundam seed is no where near as over the top as gundam wing. You won't see the strike take on 300 mobile suits by itself effortlessly. I could see myself buying it even if there were not a lot of better shows out there.

Last edited by Phantom; July 30th, 2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #39
Dr. Nick

Arjuna had some mecha-ish content, I wonder if it's eligible here? It's one of the very few anime titles that genuinely managed to disgust me. I guess the show tried to have an ecological message, but it felt more like a cult recruitment ad. One episode was about eating placenta. EATING PLACENTA. I don't think even Gundam Seed Destiny ever did that.

My next nominations would probably be Burst Angel (breasts = good, scary mutant variable breasts = bad) and the movie version of Escaflowne.
- Imagine you were a ten-year-old boy who was raised to lead a clan of magicians, then you got picked up and sent to another country on a mission and you run into this girl you can't help but like but who's interfering with your goal, not to mention there's this other girl who's acting like you're her property. Would you have any idea what the hell to do?
- Stick it in. Duh.
Dr. Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:37 PM   #40
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Quote:
Oh and for the record gundam seed is no where near as over the top as gundam wing. You won't see the strike take on 300 mobile suits by itself effortlessly. I could see myself buying it even if there were not a lot of better shows out there.
I liked Gundam SEED. It's not my favourite, but I liked it.
Your forum needs YOU.
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #41
J Dude
I'd Hit That!

Quote:
That's sad to hear, but your opinion would hopefully change once you watch GaoGaiGar and G Gundam if you haven't seen them already. I don't hate Gundam Wing either by the way, but it has a lot of faults and I just found it to be mediocre. It's not something I think I'd want to watch ever again in all honesty.
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #42
lav2k4
Tensai

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Dude View Post
That's sad to hear, but your opinion would hopefully change once you watch GaoGaiGar and G Gundam if you haven't seen them already.
I agree. Those two shows are great from what I hear, and totally different then your typical monster of the week Super Robot show with no plot. GGG seems more popular with fans of mecha/super robot than G Gundam, just because G Gundam isn't really like other Gundam series. I look forward to picking both of them up.

Last edited by lav2k4; July 30th, 2007 at 11:06 PM.
lav2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:42 PM   #43
CrossboneGundam
Immortal Mastermind

Quote:
Maybe its just worse when placed next to the others gundams but thats all that comes to mind. I don't count super robot animes as i don't consider them true mecha animes, if i did then one of them would be the worse im sure.
What kind of absurd reasoning is that?

Mecha isn't an abbreviation of "whiny kids in giant robots angsting about fighting," it's an abbreviation of mechanical.

Super robots are mechanical robots, and therefore, mecha. Get over it.
CrossboneGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:24 AM   #44
Phantom
Hands off!

Then why bother with the term "Super robots" at all then. Why is there a separate term unless it is itself something different then a "Mecha show"

Over people in this thread can see this, why can't you?
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:00 AM   #45
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Quote:
Then why bother with the term "Super robots" at all then. Why is there a separate term unless it is itself something different then a "Mecha show"

Over people in this thread can see this, why can't you?
There was no mecha before there were super robots. The very Gundam series that you so revere owes everything to the super robot genre, without which it would not have existed. Are you telling me you've never heard of the term "sub-genre" before?
Your forum needs YOU.