AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Manga

Manga All things related to Japanese comics and graphic novels.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:45 PM   #1
grgspunk

Manga... Uncensored...?

That's it. I've had it. Going from forum to forum, I keep seeing fans telling stories about translation companies editing/censoring controversial content on various manga titles, ranging from simple erasures of nipples, to eliminating scenes to avoid references to death/sex. I've grown tired of hearing this sort of crap still going on. I NEED SOME GOOD NEWS HERE!!!

Can anyone list or mention any recent series with controvertial content (particularly involving sex/nudity, although extreme violence and language also helps) that isn't censored in any of their volumes? And I mean, absolutely NO censorship of any kind from cover to cover, no matter how small or rational such an action may be from a business standpoint.

Also, please mention the company that translated the series. I'll also give a free imaginary cookie for every uncut series coming from Viz.

Any mentions would be greatly appreciated, as I seriously am in need of restoring my faith in the stateside manga market.

Last edited by grgspunk; March 24th, 2007 at 10:49 AM.
grgspunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #2
Gibb
アサギ

The Ikki Tousen manga was not only left uncensored for US release, they actually made it MORE vulgar in English. It's chock full of F words and S words, as well as tons of references to sex. TokyoPop called it "Battle Vixens" which is the worst name ever. If you can get past the horrid ghetto language they did to it, the story itself is quite good.

Battle Club is another manga by the same artist, and Tokyopop left that uncensored as well. (there is censorship in it, but it's there from the original Japanese version).

Negima! is uncensored, but it doesn't show anything more than cleavage and some naked butts.
Gibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:57 AM   #3
lav2k4
hmmmm

Berserk (Dark horse)
MPD-Psycho (Dark horse)
lav2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #4
Manafairy
God, just shut up already

Everything from Dramaqueen, Blu, DMP/801 media, Media Blasters, and I'm pretty sure everything from Kitty as well. Just in case I forgot to mention one, basically anyone who releases yaoi other than BeBeautiful, which, as far as I'm aware, releases most of their catalogue unedited anyways with a few exceptions in Kizuna, Selfish Love, and probably some other stories I'm not aware of.

Then there's, of course, Battle Royale, Arm of Kannon, My-Hime, and just about any other 18+ book from Tokyopop that I may not be thinking of (although their translations, particularly in the case of Battle Royale, are a bit questionable- not because it was toned down or anything, mind you, but because it's more or less rewritten)

Anything from Dark Horse other than Narutaru

Anything in Viz's Signature/Editor's Choice line (although I don't think any of those titles are on the level of violence or sex as what a lot of other companies release).

I know Young Magician, Testarotho, Madara, and Sword of the Dark Ones By CMX are all unedited and rated 18+, but I'm not really sure of their content, so I don't know how extreme the stuff their showing is.

And those are the only companies I can think of that release 18+ titles, shrink wrapped and as they were ment to be. It seems most mature titles make it over here unscathed (with the obvious exception of TenTen). It's really just the titles for younger readers that aren't generally explicit enough to merit shrinkwrap but may have some slightly risque content by American standards that tend to get the short end of the stick. Like, Viz's shounen Jump line, for example, where even their "advanced" half of the line is subject to frivilous, nonsensical edits like ripping of the head of a dog at a less offensive angle or changing the F word to Damn. Or Viz's shounen line whenever it should have something offensive that should be sheilded from the eyes of teenagers (considering nearly all of their edited books are rated 13 or 16+, it makes these edits even more inappropriate) like a cross or a nipple. Or Viz's shoujo line if it's-- oh wait, with the exception of Yami no Matsuei and Nana they've never touched their shoujo line, have they? Why does that piss me off somehow

"What's this Darkness you keep going on about?"
"I'll try and put it in idiot's terms. Have you seen Star Wars?"
"Well... Yes..."
"The Darkness is the force on crack." ~ Jenny and Sonatine (The Darkness)

Current avatar: Klavier Gavin (Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney)
Nyan! Artness :P

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
Manafairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #5
BasilAcid
President of the Enforcement Group

I went through this exact same frustrating search for uncensored manga not a month ago when I decided to start buying my manga in addition to ... you know... reading scanlations.

My conclusion was that as long as the edits weren't major, I'd support them. I've been reading Death Note and Bleach, both from Viz and both SJ titles, and I havn't been too disappointed yet. Granted, I'm not comparing them panel by panel like I am with Naruto... but hey, as long as the general story is untouched, I'm kosher with it.

For the truly uncensored manga, I've got Berserk... in all it's gory, naked detail. So far, that's all I have been picking up but I'm sure that in time I'll search out others that havn't been ripped to shreds by the censorship police.

((PS: Even though I WANT to read a professionally translated Tenjho Tenge and.. I guess One Piece... I won't because of how badly they're edited. Well, I know TenTen was eviscerated over here... and from the 4kids treatment of the One Piece show, I can't imagine the manga is much better. -like when Funimation edited Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z and Viz followed suit with the manga edits- However, if someone can verify that the One Piece manga isn't edited any worse than say, Naruto, I'd be happy to pick up a copy or two.))
BasilAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #6
KitsuneMaryohki
Go Team Sea Slug!

Random, but does anyone know if anything in the Godchild and Hellsing manga are edited or not?
KitsuneMaryohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #7
Kali-chan
Game of Thrones fanatic

Ummmmm... I think GetBackers, at least the first volume has a very direct reference to sex...
but I'm not quite sure if it is edited or not... it has a 100% Authentic Manga label on it, and it's done by Tokyopop
My AN family: Prons (husband), Superplough (big brother), animegurl (big neko sissy), Delta-Pheonix (knight in shining armour), Cyborgaaron (android stepbrother), Yukimura-sanada (Black Horseman), ThePhillyFlash (crazy uncle who's kept up in the attic)

PM me to be added to my family. If I've deleted you accidently, pm me ^,^
Kali-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #8
Gendo
NERV Head

Almost all manga in the US is presented uncensored. The only recent high-profile one I knew of was Tenjo Tenge last year. There are fans that will cry foul when the translation from a US publisher doesn't match their illegal scanlations word for word, and in many cases the one translated my the professional is more accurate.

Other changes that might have purists cry foul is when some every-day Japanese saying is not literally translated, but changed to the English equivalent phrase, but the manging is the same.

One more problem i've seen more and more recently is an accusation of americanizing Manga when there is some American pop culture reference added. In many cases it was an American pop culture reference in the original manga and nothing has been changed (happens alot in Akamatu's manga, Love Hina, Negima, etc.)
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #9
goddessofanime
in your internets watching you

Viz used to do that when Ayashi no Ceres was still coming out in the little installments. However, they did stop that.

Actually, ironically enough, I think Viz seems to let more slip by in their Shojo Line than they do in their SJ titles. Though Bleach is the only title I do read from that line and even so, I"ve been reading more scanslations on that.
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #10
HitokiriShadow
Real Men Read Shoujo

AnimeonDVD has a sub-forum specifically for edited manga here.

These two threads are particularly relevant:
Manga free from edits to the original (even if controversial) art
Edited Manga List

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneMaryohki View Post
Random, but does anyone know if anything in the Godchild and Hellsing manga are edited or not?
No, they aren't. Since Godchild has the mature content sticker, it probably won't be edited. Viz doesn't edit their Shojo and Shojo Beat titles very often. I can't even think of one at the moment.

I believe Dark Horse has only edited two series ever, the first being Shadow Star Narutaru which ran in their Super Manga Blast magazine and the later portions of the series had content they didn't know was coming when it started. I believe Canon God Exxaxion was the only other title they've ever edited. You really don't have to worry about Dark Horse editing titles since they are targeting adults anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goddessofanime
Viz used to do that when Ayashi no Ceres was still coming out in the little installments. However, they did stop that.
However, they did have some little notes at the back that said what the original culture reference was.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow; March 26th, 2007 at 04:19 PM.
HitokiriShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:29 PM   #11
Justinian
this place still exists?

ok how do you insert pics into post of your own comp
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #12
Steel
The American Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin2011 View Post
ok how do you insert pics into post of your own comp
when you copy and past the URL address of an image, you put [img] [/img] on each end of the URL address and then post it.

-Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid : Twin Snakes
Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #13
Justinian
this place still exists?

What I meant was, off your hard drive not off the net.
I guess I could use my bro's database he uses for his internet radio station...
Old April 7th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #14
Crawlspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendo View Post
Almost all manga in the US is presented uncensored. The only recent high-profile one I knew of was Tenjo Tenge last year.
While most are presented unedited, there have been quite a few before and after TenTen that have had minor edits made to art and dialog. Most of them are from Viz (mostly edits to match dubs, the big one in Naruto because of a cross, and nipples pretty much across the board even in titles aimed at older audiences), though TP made some dialog edits to a recent volume of the catgirl vampire one, and Decedents of Darkness had a scene edited for content. Something in Claymore was also edited. Basically, it's hard to trust anyone anymore, since half the changes seem random and inconsistent from volume to volume. Del Ray made some art edits to a title, but then went back and undid them because of customer complaints. TenTen was an extreme case, and not a typical example of current censoring practices.

DocSpace Fanfiction - Previews, Chapter Updates, Fanart, and Ego Stroking all in one easy to use package. ^-^
Crawlspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #15
Ariel Tsuki
Chick Who Love Bishies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitokiriShadow View Post
No, they aren't. Since Godchild has the mature content sticker, it probably won't be edited. Viz doesn't edit their Shojo and Shojo Beat titles very often. I can't even think of one at the moment.
NANA is prolly the only shoujo they edited. They edited Nana O.'s nipple (although she was clearly having sex in the bathtub) and I heard they omitted the flashback of why BlaSt got it's band name (BlaSt is really short for Black Stones and I think it was after a brand of cigarettes. I'm assuming that they either edited for that or because their name was Black Stones, thinking it would offend Black people or something).

Current avatar: Nayuta Sakuragi (Honey x Honey Drops) [Note: Nayu is a B-O-Y!]
Ariel Tsuki is offline   Reply With Quote