AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Super Robot/Mecha

Old December 26th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #16
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Why were they interviewing Anno about Rahxephon? I don't see what relationship there is between him and this anime. Except in the minds of certain rabid fanboys.
Your forum needs YOU.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #17
kamidake90

Anno and Izubuchi are old friends and this series being Izubuchi's first time to direct(despite being in the industry for nearly 20 years) they probably thought the interview would be cool.
kamidake90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #18
Soluzar
Double rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamidake90 View Post
Anno and Izubuchi are old friends and this series being Izubuchi's first time to direct(despite being in the industry for nearly 20 years) they probably thought the interview would be cool.
Oh right. Izubuchi is the director's name. The rest of this thread makes sense now. Sorry about that, I just didn't manage to figure that out on my own.
Your forum needs YOU.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #19
Vir
Grim souvenir shopper

Thanks for the info kamidake90. I guess that means Anno and Izubuchi did indeed work together on Char's Counterattack (as opposed to just have their previously designed mecha appear in it). The Nu Gundam, at the very least, first appeared in that movie.
Vir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #20
kamidake90

Many of the current crop of people in the industry are in it because of Tomino. Either due to inspiration from him or direct tutelage(I think he was the first to use Yoko Kanno's music in a series). Of course Tomino himself along with Matsumoto, Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, Kunio Ookwara and generally the rest of the founding members of Sunrise were all students of Osamu Tezuka dating back to the old Mushi productions days(Astro Boy FTW)
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #21
Westlo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamidake90 View Post
(I think he was the first to use Yoko Kanno's music in a series).
Shouji Kawamori put Kanno on the map in Macross Plus (1994) and Vision Of Escaflowne (1996). Kanno worked with Tomino on Brain Powered (1998) and Turn A Gundam (1999).

From her Wiki

Please Save My Earth 1994 Composer (other tracks by Hajime Mizoguchi)
Macross Plus 1994 Composer
Memories: Magnetic Rose 1996 Composer
Vision of Escaflowne 1996 Composer (other tracks by Hajime Mizoguchi)
X Clamp Characters File Vol1-4 1996 Composer (one track for each album)
Clamp School Detectives 1997 Second ending theme
Noiseman Sound Insect 1997 Composer
Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight 1998 Composer for Opening theme
Cowboy Bebop 1998 Composer
Cardcaptor Sakura 1998 Composer for TV opening theme
Brain Powerd 1998 Composer
Turn-A Gundam 1999 Composer
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #22
Black Knight

I'd always thought Izubuchi had influenced the mecha (for lack of a better term) designs in Eva; there's a good deal of resemblance between the Eva-01 and Izubuchi's Kaempfer design from Gundam 0080, particularly around the head. Nice to see that there is actually some proof to back me up on this.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #23
kamidake90

I do believe that although Kanno wasn't the main composer, some of her work was used in Victory Gundam back in 1993(checking the interview with Tomino and Kanno on the Brain Powered dvd's....Yup! She was an understudy to the series composer and composed three songs herself.)
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:22 AM   #24
Westlo
Banned

That would be like if Tupac Shakur was still alive and him saying he used Timbaland first because Timbaland was an understudy (ghost producer) of Devante. You can't give Tomino/Tupac credit for a composer/producer using their understudy. You give the credit to the composer/producer since Tomino/Tupac wanted Akira Senju/Devante and not Yoko Kanno/Timbaland.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:57 AM   #25
Vir
Grim souvenir shopper

You almost lost me, but I think I know what you mean.
Vir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:30 AM   #26
gwern

the translation

I pinged Vir everywhere I could find him online (he seems to be essentially inactive under that name), but I'm doubtful it'll do any good.

Does anyone else have a translation of the interview, or maybe scans of it which could be re-translated?
gwern is offline   Reply With Quote