AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Naruto

Old August 23rd, 2006, 05:44 PM   #1
DEMON212
RESIDENT ARSEHOLE!

So in Naruto's case, what does "uncut" mean?

Because i've seen many "uncuts" and they're not all that great. Usually it's like 1 min of extra footage which is total crap (no jokes, or action, or gore or anything at all of interest which makes the purchase worth while).

So I was wondering before I blew £20 ($38) what really was cut? To now be uncut?

Also, how many episodes are there? Because at 13 a boxset, if this has, say 200 episodes, that's ALOT of money.

Smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.

..I.. {̣_ó} ..I..

Last edited by DEMON212; August 23rd, 2006 at 05:47 PM.
DEMON212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 05:54 PM   #2
soulreaper

http://www.narutoplace.com/naruto-censors-and-edits/

http://www.anime-editz.net/naruto_editz_index.php

New episodes are still airing in Japan, as the manga is still ongoing there as well. The show will soon break the 200 mark.

The more you know

-Sorry, forgot to explain that the uncut version basically has everything the original had. Those sites I listed are chock full of edits done to the edited Cartoon Network broadcast and edited dvd releases. So really, imagine the Japanese version of the show on each of those sites is the same as the uncut release, and it's easy to compare the two.

Last edited by soulreaper; August 23rd, 2006 at 06:07 PM.
soulreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:02 PM   #3
Mikadzuki Tatsu
Operating in the Shadows

The uncut DVD releases include the scenes or clips that were edited out for the television broadcast. One example of such a scene is Naruto and Sasuke's accidental kiss in one of the early episodes; that scene was cut out for television broadcasting (because it was a kiss between two boys), but it would be included on an uncut DVD release.

I think one reason the uncut Naruto releases are advertised as uncut is because VIZ Media also releases an edited version of the series - a version that's exactly what you see on television (and is probably dub-only as a result).

Naruto - both the anime and the manga - is still ongoing in Japan. As of right now, it's 197 episodes long. I've lost track of how many episodes VIZ has released overseas (U.S and Europe) so far. You could always look it up on www.tv.com or www.animenewsnetwork.com.
People cannot accept that which is unlike themselves. They reject it and fear it. That is the beginning of war.~[FMA: Conqueror of Shamballa]
Mikadzuki Tatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:11 PM   #4
DEMON212
RESIDENT ARSEHOLE!

So far the uncut boxset isn't sounding all that good. If they class a kiss scene as to dirty to air, just what the hell else has been added back into the show?

Maybe you saw one of the womens elbows, far to dirty for T.V, lol.

Sorry watched that ep of Simpsons recently where Homer wants to see touch Marge's elbow through the cloth, because that was what was dirty back then, lol.

..I.. {̣_ó} ..I..
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:22 PM   #5
soulreaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMON212
So far the uncut boxset isn't sounding all that good. If they class a kiss scene as to dirty to air, just what the hell else has been added back into the show?
How about this: If you like Naruto, then really the only set worth looking into is the uncut one. If you don't like Naruto, then the uncut set isn't going to change your mind in the least. If you're new to Naruto, then the edited episodes on CN should give you a pretty basic idea of what the show's about. Really, the edited stuff isn't that major. It's worse than anything on AS, but way better than anything by 4Kids. The only things missing in the edited version are a few "dirty" scenes and most of the blood (all of the running blood and a lot of the stationary blood), as well as some impalement scenes (or at least, most of them have been cleaned up a bit). One could also argue that a large amount of cursing was taken out, but that's never something that anyone has ever agreed upon, considering how different a word like that is in Japanese compared to one in English.

Watch some more episodes on CN, and if you like it at all, get the uncut set. Don't get the edited set. The sub is much better than the dub (though the dub is definitely passable). I hear it's a great quality set, too. Or wait for it to get cheaper, like I am. But I will definitely get it sooner or later. And if you are worried about length, fear not! The dvd release will probably speed up once the series' TV episodes are far enough in advance and if this set makes them enough profit.

Last edited by soulreaper; August 23rd, 2006 at 06:27 PM.
soulreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:49 PM   #6
DarkNataku

also have the original ending and closing songs

A woman needs two animals, the horse of her dreams and a jackass to pay for it.
DarkNataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:53 PM   #7
MightyDustLoop

It's not that much footage. They've gone pretty easy on Naruto tv-wise. But edit anything, and I mean anything, and anime fans get pretty pissed. The major things the uncut provide are the intros, endings, and Japanese language option. The blood and content are unaltered, but every now and then it's minor or doesn't change the content. It's nice to know it hasn't been tampered with, though the change in content won't have much emotional effect on you unless you of course genuinely hate dubs.
MightyDustLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:17 PM   #8
DEMON212
RESIDENT ARSEHOLE!

I seen one ep, and it was ep 4.

I didn't know what was going on, because afterall it was ep 4 (still say that advertisement was wrong!), but I was interested by it (hence why i'm contemplating the DVD's).

£20 isn't bad, so I may get it. Or I could wait a bit until it has a price crash in about a months time (online).

Thanks for the info though

..I.. {̣_ó} ..I..
Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:29 PM   #9
Leader Desslock
Ice Queen. Comedienne.

There's no way I'd pay that price for 13 episodes. I'd wait for the hype to fade a bit, then pick up a disc set at a discount. Or better yet, wait for larger box sets.

~Mike Royko
Leader Desslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #10
DEMON212
RESIDENT ARSEHOLE!

Exactly what i'm gonna do. Because I thought about it, and disscussed it with a mate, and we both said the same thing "this one will go on sale when the second one is released" which is in Nov, so i'm gonna buy it then, as long as it's on sale.

..I.. {̣_ó} ..I..
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #11
Hara!
vs. The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader Desslock
There's no way I'd pay that price for 13 episodes. I'd wait for the hype to fade a bit, then pick up a disc set at a discount. Or better yet, wait for larger box sets.
Or better yet, bittorrent. ()
Hara! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #12
DEMON212
RESIDENT ARSEHOLE!

How's about, NO!

..I.. {̣_ó} ..I..
Old August 25th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #13
Brill
Shadowstalker

The main difference is the level of violence. They bleed alot more in the uncut version and there are more blood stains. They bleed in edited version too but you can see the editing job, it's pretty blatant if you've already seen the series. It's most prominent when there is a massive blow and the traditional "blood coming out of mouth" has nothing comiing out of it. US censor laws prohibit "direct" bleeding of characters. Indirect (i.e. blood falling on the ground by itself" is still allowed. It's kind of funny, the censors are so overworked in Naruto that they let Hokage smoke a pipe 3 episodes ago when smoking is prohibited in prime-time cartoons.
Old August 27th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #14
djcubez

I'm sorry, I just have to spit this out because my mind roams elsewhere. I thought this topic would be similar to the "gay undertones" topic because I read your topic sarcastically. Basically, I thought you were making a joke and "uncut" translated to uncircumcised. Now please don't kill me.
djcubez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #15
arxane
is scaring Maya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill
It's kind of funny, the censors are so overworked in Naruto that they let Hokage smoke a pipe 3 episodes ago when smoking is prohibited in prime-time cartoons.
Actually, since the Toonami version of Naruto is rated TV-PG, they're seem to be allowing the Hokage's smoking pipe to go through unedited. I mean, I seriously doubt that there's SOO MACH BLUDZ in Naruto that they failed to notice something as blatant as an old man smoking a pipe.

Of course, that doesn't mean all smoking is allowed. One other character is shown with a cigarette in his mouth, but the actual smoke is removed, probably because the censors believe children might identify smoking with ciggies more than pipes. Ah, well, at least it wasn't changed into a toothpick.
arxane is offline   Reply With Quote