AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Blogs > Soluzar's Gaming Journal

Soluzar's Gaming Journal

I'm going to use this space to comment on anything I find noteworthy, interesting or amusing about the games I'm playing recently. I don't necessarily assume it will be an interesting read for anyone else, but it might well be an interesting record for me.
Rate this Entry

Enchanted Arms? More Like Drag-On Quest!

Posted June 27th, 2010 at 12:57 AM by Soluzar
Updated August 1st, 2013 at 10:14 AM by Soluzar

I'm within just a few hours of completing Enchanted Arms... the final boss is a bit difficult though, so I plan on doing some sidequests to improve my party's offensive options before that.

I can't really recommend the game at all. It has some good points, but... they are far outweighed by the bad points. If I had realised just how bad some parts of the game could be, I would never have started. Having started, though... I figured I might as well keep playing as long as it was easy.

It didn't take all that long to stop being easy, but by that point I had been drawn in by the story. It would actually be a pretty good story if the characters weren't so rubbish, but as it stands they are paper-thin and not especially likeable.

The translation doesn't help, either. It makes the game sound far more moronic than it probably should be. The game comes with dual-audio, so it is possible to listen to the original Japanese dialogue, which proves enlightening. Naturally I don't understand all of it, but what I can pick up is... really not the same as the English translation. The story is still somewhat contrived and badly in need of a rewrite, but it certainly could have been translated better.

Shame really, the core of the story is genuinely worthwhile.

Since I happened to mention the word "moronic", allow me to mention that Atsuma is the worst RPG protagonist I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. He has an IQ which would permit him to be outwitted by newborn puppies.

On the positive side, it does have some really well-designed dungeons, and the battle system (though not without flaws) is pleasantly strategic. I certainly didn't hate every minute I spent playing this game, just certain crucial scenes in the plot, especially when Atsuma is talking.

It's a really mixed bag. The bottom line is, there are better RPGs out there. Don't buy it, and if you do buy it, please don't feel compelled to complete it, like I did. Don't start it, don't allow yourself to be drawn in.

Anyway. I said I'd blog about the reason I've not been motivated to write lately. Things have changed. I'm going to try and write at least a couple of posts a week now.
Posted in Now Playing
Views 3729 Comments 3 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Someone's stealin' my material.

As for your reference that brought me here, I can tell you that if you are expecting to get anything from pushing through to the end with that game, you'll be even more disappointed than you sound here, so...don't do it.
    Posted June 28th, 2010 at 08:47 PM by Hajime Saitou Hajime Saitou is offline
  2. Old Comment
    I decided that if I was going to play any more Dragon Quest it would either be one of the DQ Monsters games, or possibly the other two DS remakes followed by the PS1 version (or is it the only version?) of DQ7...

So basically I've got several games from the series I want to play even before I would ever even remotely consider starting DQ8. I actually have started DQ5 on the DS, seems very good.

I wonder if they'll remake DQ7 before I get there. I seem to recall that was a favourite of yours.
  3. Old Comment
    I'm not exactly a DQ expert so I just went and checked, and the PSX version is the only version of DQVII I could find. I was also surprised to see that DQVI is finally getting a release on the DS. I guess that is the other DS release you were referring to.

I can't speak for V or VI because I've never played them, but as far as VII and the rest of them, I see them as such: DQ was an experiment in making an electronic RPG, DQII was an experiment with adding more playable characters(but failed pretty hard), DQIII was a refinement of two in that the classes and spells make for a pretty smooth playing experience, DQIV was an experiment in adding characters that are actually supposed to be characters, and VII is a kind of culmination of over a decade of baby steps. It is certainly my favorite of the DQ games but that's not exactly saying much.

So maybe V and VI are the missing links between 4 and 7, or maybe they screwed up and VII redeemed the series? Hmm...2 and 8 might be the worst, and 7 might be the best?

Also, looks like I stole your material. *runs*
    Posted June 29th, 2010 at 10:05 AM by Hajime Saitou Hajime Saitou is offline

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks