AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Blogs > Comics again...for now

I'll try doing comics again.
Rate this Entry

Carbon Grey

Posted September 4th, 2011 at 09:16 PM by old hat
Updated March 18th, 2012 at 11:03 PM by old hat

Publisher - Image Comics

For centuries, the Kaiser has been protected by the three Sisters Grey, descendants of the legendary hero Gottfaust. There have always been three sisters until this generation. Instead of a third sister, the twins Giselle and Mathilde were born. One is the 13th sister who is prophesied to change everything.

Carbon Grey is the first of what is planned to be a series of 3 issue minis. It is set in what is almost but not quite a Steampunk setting. It has Steampunk trappings like airships and Tesla weapons but is set during WWI which is a bit too late to be properly Steampunk. It starts out just after the apparent murder of the Kaiser by Giselle Grey who is, more or less, the main character. The story is told in a non-linear style starting in the middle of events and then filling in later on.

What mainly drew me to this initially was the artwork. It's gorgeous. The inking is beautifully done with a very unusual, almost sepia tone palette. The art is very evocative of the setting and mood. The writing is generally quite good but the non-linear way the story is structured doesn't always quite work. The character's motivation are also sometimes a bit obscure. I suspect that some of this is deliberate.

Because this is the first of a series of minis, there is a lot of space spent setting up the world, characters and situation. Also, because it is the first of multiple miniseries, it ends on a cliffhanger.

This was entirely an impulse buy based on the artwork but I found it to be quite good. Giselle is a promising character though a bit undeveloped at the moment. I look forward to the next installment. The supporting cast is fun if a bit cliche.
Posted in Comic Book Crap
Views 559 Comments 0 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks